20

The days before the students were to return to school dwindled, with everyone acclimating themselves to an environment where fear didn't rule, and there wasn't the potential for a Death Eater attack around every corner.

Harry and his friends returned to Lion's Castle to gather their belongings, which took nearly an entire day, as things had become so spread out; they were picking up random shirts and books from nearly every corner of the Castle.

Amelia and Sirius spent a good deal of time at the Ministry, rebuilding and getting the government back up and running in the public eye once more.

Minerva spent most of her time at Hogwarts, working with the professors and the Board of Directors to condense the courses for the shortened term. She had been officially promoted to headmistress as soon as the Board could confirm it, and immediately offered Filius her former place as Deputy.

She came home a week before school was to start again, and requested a private conversation with both Sirius and Remus.

The two Marauders were understandably concerned, and only got more confused as the newly proclaimed headmistress asked them both to return to the school to teach.

"My goal is to overhaul the Hogwarts curriculum," Minerva explained. "I am searching for a new History professor, but that may take some time. I am also working on updating some courses, such as Astronomy and Muggle Studies, but again, that will take time. For right now though, I need professors."

Sirius frowned. "I don't get it. We both taught Defense, and you already have a Defense professor."

Minerva sighed. "Horace has told me that he wishes to return to retirement, which means I must ask Severus to take on his previous position as Potions professor. With my promotion, I find myself in need of a Transfiguration professor, and Sirius, after James and Lily, you were the best in your class in that subject."

Sirius was startled. He hadn't even thought about that possibility. After a moment of silence, he nodded. "All right, but just for this term. If you really need me back next year, I will do it, but I don't fancy myself the teacher type."

Minerva shook her head fondly. "You really have no idea how much the students enjoyed learning from you," she said, amused. "Very well, I will endeavor to find someone else for next year. Thank you, Sirius."

Sirius inclined his head. "Thanks."

Remus bit his lip. "I'd love to return, Minerva, but what about my condition?"

Minerva chuckled. "The Board has already approved the placement. Something about your Defense scores having been the highest recorded in nearly fifty years."

Remus flushed. "I'm not sure about that, but I'm happy to return. I loved teaching."

Minerva smiled gratefully. "Thank you. I would also like to ask you to take over as head of Gryffindor." She looked at Sirius. "I would consider you, but I know you wish to continue to reside with your wife at the Bones Estate. Not to mention you have already stated you do not wish to take this position long term."

Sirius nodded in understanding, and after a moment of shocked silence, Remus stuttered out an affirmative.

Minerva inclined her head. "Again, thank you. I shall speak with you soon about arrangements."

Remus bit his lip. "There's one more thing, though... Before school starts again, Tonks and I want to get married."

Sirius grinned and clapped his friend on the back. "Finally!" he exclaimed. "I don't know why you put it off for so long."

Remus shrugged. "We just kept saying we'll do it soon, and then..." he sighed. "Yeah. With the war, we just kept pushing it back. But we want to do it this weekend, before the kids return to school. And it just makes more sense now, so that she can move into Hogwarts with me. We don't want anything big, just family and close friends. We're going to ask Amelia to perform the ceremony."