15

When Bill returned to McGonagall Castle, he was too exhausted to do much more than head up to the room he and Fleur were sharing, and drop onto the bed, fully clothed, asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

When he awoke, it was to the comforting feeling of a hand running through his hair, and a soft but melodious voice humming something he thought he recognized as an old lullaby.

He shifted slightly, and Fleur fell silent, smiling down at her husband. "You took longer than you thought last night, mon chéri?" she queried.

Bill nodded and sat up. "I'm sorry," he apologized. "I couldn't leave early."

Fleur shook her head. "It was important, non? I understand. You do not need to explain what you were doing. Master Sharptooth came into the office this morning to tell Master Goldbreath that you had been excused from your duties for the day. I had not realized that goblins from the different departments could outrank each other."

Bill shrugged. "I think it depends on the rank and the department. Sharptooth is a senior Manager, and I think he might have some sort of position on the Goblin Council. He's Harry's Family Manager."

Fleur inhaled sharply. "You have seen Harry?"

Bill nodded ruefully. "Harry and the others needed my help with something last night, that's where I was. I can't give you any more than that, but I should probably tell Mum and Minerva, so that they can be assured that the kids are all right."

Fleur inclined her head. "Everyone is gathering for dinner, so we should head down there, yes?"

Bill smiled and brushed the part-Veela's hair behind her ear. He gave her a soft kiss. "You're amazing," he said, pulling back.

Fleur beamed, and stood up, stepping back to wait, while Bill changed into a clean set of clothes.

He stopped Fleur as she made to leave the room, grabbing her around the waist, spinning her so that he could kiss her properly. "I love you," he murmured against her lips.

Fleur giggled and threw her arms around his neck. "I know," she replied. "As I love you."

Bill pulled back and smiled into her warm gaze. "Thank you." Fleur raised an eyebrow in silent question, and Bill shrugged. "Harry told me about the secret you've been keeping for him."

Fleur gasped. "He and Ginny told you about the bond?"

Bill nodded. "I wasn't exactly thrilled to hear that my little sister has been married since she was thirteen, but Harry's exactly the kind of guy I would want for her. I'm grateful that you kept such a secret for them. Thank you for looking after my sister and... brother-in-law... they really appreciate it as well."

Fleur nodded determinedly. "It is not my secret to share," she said firmly. "A soul bond is a sacred thing, the manifestation of true love. Such an occurrence happens once every other lifetime, if you are lucky. It is an honor, just to see their love."

Bill smiled, and kissed her again, before the two headed down to the dining room, hand in hand.

XXX

When they arrived, pretty much everyone was gathered, preparing to sit down for dinner as Fleur had said. They all greeted Bill warmly, having been worried at his absence all night, despite Fleur's assurances that he was fine and just had to work. The lanky redhead bit his lip, unsure if he should give everyone the update on the teenagers.

Minerva frowned. "Bill? Has something happened? Fleur was very vague when she told us you had been called away last night."

Bill smiled slightly. "Everything's fine. I was out all night, helping a few... friends."