Chapter 5 - Lost in the Woods

The four Pevensies, Trumpkin and Amethy trudged through the forest to get to the Narnians as well as Prince Caspian. Trumpkin and Amethy had yet again filled them in on everything that happened, including how the Telmarines invaded and how Caspian ended up at their door. This was because the Pevensies had interrupted them so many times during their first explanation that they could only get the gist of everything and not the details. Trumpkin also shared that in his short stay as prisoner in the Telmarine Castle, he received insider information that Lord Miraz was planning to murder Caspian and steal the throne and that he had a bridge under construction, for he had forgotten to mention this before.

They walked for quite a few hours and Amethy's legs were starting to feel sore. They were following a route led by Peter, who was extremely determined that he was going the right way. But Amethy wasn't too sure.
"I don't remember this way at all" Susan started.
"That's the problem wth girls. You can't carry a map in your heads" rebutted Peter.
"That's because our heads have something in them" Lucy said, emphasising her words.
"I wish he'd just listen to the DLF" said Susan.
"DLF?" Edmund and Amethy asked at the exact same time. They exchanges amused looks.
"Dear little friend" Lucy explained while gigging.
"Oh, that's not all patronising, is it?" Trumpkin complained, rolling his eyes.

Peter, who was in the front, stopped abruptly when he came face to face with a huge wall of stone in front of him.
"I'm not lost" he muttered.
"No, you're just going the wrong way" commented Trumpkin.
"You said you last saw Caspian in the Shuddering Woods, and the quickest way there is to cross the River Rush" said Peter, trying to convince Trumpkin.
"Unless I'm mistaken, there's no crossing at these parts" Amethy told him kindly. Peter pressed his lips into a flat line, keeping his temper with some difficulty.
"That explains it then. You're mistaken" he spat finally.
Amethy shrugged and rolled her eyes as she reluctantly followed behind Peter who had began to continue the journey again.

"Hey, about my brother..." Edmund started.
"Is he always like that?" whispered Amethy, her stare still fixed on the back of Peter's head, seeming quite pissed off.
"Well, he's been this way since... forever. But he got worse after we left Narnia" replied Edmund.
"If we are going the wrong way, I'm gonna kill him" she muttered crossly, brushing her hair upwards over her head.
Edmund laughed at her reaction.
"What? Don't tell me you're gonna thank him for making us go the wrong way?"
"Well, why not?" Edmund said teasingly.
Amethy rolled her eyes at him before catching up with Susan and Lucy.

The six of them continued to journey on through the thick forest, until they finally arrived at a gorge. They all looked downwards to the rushing water below, which was originally the great River Rush in the past. However, it was now a drop of tens of metres down. On the other side the cliff rose way higher and unfortunately for them, none of them were good at rock climbing.
"I. told. you." said Amethy to Peter in a monotonous voice.
"You see Pete, over hundreds of years, water erodes the earth's soil, carving deeper..." Susan, the-always-intelligent-girl, started to explain.
"Oh shut up. Is there a way down?" asked Peter, obviously trying to mask his embarrassment. He never fancied to be proved wrong.
"Yeah, falling" replied Trumpkin while glaring at Peter.

"Well there's a ford at Beruna. Any of you mind swimming?" Trumpkin continued.
"Anything's better than walking" replied Amethy enthusiastically. She always loved the water. Well, she is a water bender, isn't she?
With Trumpkin leading the way this time, they started to walk into the forest back to their original path. Just then, Lucy turned and glanced back.
"Aslan?" She paused, "it's Aslan over there!" She squealed in delight at the sight of his mane and those kind and golden eyes. Her expression had changed from disappointment and gloom to happiness instantly, and her eyes were shining unlike before.
Everyone turned around and looked at each other in a quizzical silence. Instead of seeing the great Aslan, the others could only see the normal braken and branches at the opposite side of the gorge.
"Can't you see? He's right... there" she turned back and, of course, saw nothing this time. Her smile faded.