Chapter 8 - Raid on the Castle

It was a little after midnight.
Griffins soared above the castle in the pitch black darkness and silence of the night, each carrying the three Pevensies (Lucy stayed behind in the How) as well as Amethy. Amethy silently cursed as she eyed a few soldiers on watch. The griffins carrying Edmund and Amethy swooped down before the others, and they landed on one of the towers nearest to the forest according to plan - but with a stifled thud.

The soldier on guard looked towards the sound, but they had swiftly and skillfully hidden out of his sight behind the small tower roof. As the soldier turned his back, one of the griffins leaned over and snatched him up and, well, ended his life, allowing Amethy and Edmund to advance.
Once at the edge of the platform, Edmund used his electric torch to signal the others.
On, off, on, off
The attack had officially started. There was no turning back.

Peter, Susan and Caspian each flew downwards towards the castle on their respective griffins as soon as they noticed Edmund's signal. They circled the castle, looking for a suitable place to drop them at. Once they were on their feet again, Susan realized that a soldier had noticed Edmund's signals and had pointed his crossbow at him, but he was only to be shot by her. She sighed at the close call. She didn't approve of the raid from the start and had a really bad feeling about it, like something terrible would definitely happen. She just didn't know what to expect.

Peter, Susan and Caspian secured themselves to the pillars on the wall they had landed on and climbed down steadily. Caspian landed on a window sill and stopped, before he knocked on the window.
"Professor?" He whispered. He had planned to come back to save his professor from Miraz's grasp.
There was no reply.
Caspian knocked open the window and stepped into his professor's study. It was dark with the exception of the moonlight shining in from the open window and had a musty smell, as if no one had been in this room for a few days or so. Peter and Susan followed behind him, looking around the dark room. Caspian looked around at the many books in the room which read - 'The Full History of Old Narnia", 'The Battle at Beruna', or 'The Golden Age'.

He took a few steps forward and stopped when he had spotted a pair of glasses on the table nearby. He went to pick it up and noticed an open book with a illustration of the Pevensies presumably stabbed with something sharp. Realization dawned on him.
"I have to find him" he said.
"We don't have time. You have to get to the gatehouse" Peter warned.
"You wouldn't even be here without him. And neither would I" he told them, slight anger to his voice.
Peter and Susan exchanged glances, as though communicating with each other.
"We can take care of Miraz" Susan assured.
"And I can still make it to the gatehouse in time" Caspian said, glancing at Peter, who was glaring at him. He ignored his look of disapproval and sped off frantically.

Outside, beyond the walls of the castle, a minotaur sneaked around, waiting for a chance to get in to lower the drawbridge from the interior. A guard on duty spotted him and drew his sword, while shaking, and positioned himself so that he was ready to attack.
"Shh" the minotaur hushed smugly, putting a finger to his thick lips. The soldier stared at him in disbelief, blinking profusely.
Before the soldier could strike the Minotaur with his blade, Nikabrik had sneaked up behind and knocked the soldier out with the hilt of his own sword. The Minotaur and him exchanged knowing glances and smirked at each other.

Reepicheep led the other mice through the drains and they scurried through the metal gates with ease without being spotted at all. They then leapt onto a rope to climb into the drawbridge room. A cat was spotted in the corner of the room, ready to pounce at the sight of its feast. Reepicheep drew out his sword. You've never been so wrong in your life, kitty. He thought, grinning to himself. He advanced towards the unarmed cat and with a few swift movements, he had bounded the cat securely to its fluffy pillow. A Telmarine soldier realised that the cat had been tied up in the corner soon after, but the mice had already hidden themselves out of sight.
"What the..." he started, looking around suspiciously and eyeing every corner. Reepicheep hung down from the ceiling behind the soldier, drawing his sword. The soldier spun around and was greeted by Reepicheep's face just a mere inch away.
A mouse? The soldier thought.
"Yes, I am a mouse" Reepicheep said before striking the soldier with a whip of his sword.