Chapter 15: The Second Battle of Beruna

niknoodle333
Thank you so much for giving this story the 100th vote

With the deed done, Sopespian rode back towards the entire army, ready to get them prepared for the real battle.
A soldier rushed up to Peter rashly, thoughts of assassination revolving through his evil mind. Skilled, the King slashed at his neck and beheaded him, wincing a little at the repulsive scene.

"To arms, Telmar! To arms!" ordered Sopespian, who received a loud and confident battle cry from the troops.

"Charge!" he screamed. The first batch of soldiers began their race towards the Narnians, their footsteps eerily in sync. At once the clattering of armor filled the air and the shing of swords could be heard distinctively.
Peter looked at Caspian, who rode on horseback back inside the How. Looking back at the battlefield, Peter clenched his fist, praying that their plan would work.

Once in the How, Caspian rode his way to the front of the tens of Narnians inside.

"Narnians!" signaled Caspian. "Charge!"

With Caspian leading the way, the Narnians sped down the broad tunnel. Muffled hoovebeats and footsteps of the Narnians below could be heard above, and the whole ground seemed to vibrate. A loud horn sounded from underground.

"One, two, three..." counted Peter, his gaze fixed worriedly on soldiers approaching by the second, swallowing hard to soothe the nervous pit churning in his stomach.

"Four, five, six..." Caspian continued, halfway through the dark tunnel below. His heartbeat too, quickened, seemingly exceeding the steady pace of the horse's hoovebeats, perceptibly about to start to his throat.

"Archers to the ready!" commanded Susan. The sound of stretching strings filled the air as the archers readied their bows.

"Seven, eight, nine... Get ready!"

Nothing could very well describe the way all of them felt - the same pulsing heart, the same deep breath to suppress their steaming anxiousness, and perhaps a tint of tremulousness. They, however, acknowledged one thing - it was now or never.

"Now!"

Crash went the pillars holding up the tunnel below upon contact with the Narnian's weapons as they came crumbling down, sending dust and sand into the air. The earth behind the Narnians in the tunnel began to give way, caving in into a huge crater, bringing the Telmarine soldiers and their horses down with it.

"Fire!" shouted Susan. At once the whizz of hundreds of arrows could be heard over the cries of war as they were projected though the air, heading directly for the Telmarines in the pit of slabs of earth and mass of rubble, ending most of their lives.

The Narnians underground sped out of the tunnel onto the battlefield, splitting into two equal groups and circling back around the pit behind them, almost doubling the original number of Narnian soldiers above.

"Lucy...?" mouthed Peter, looking up to meet Susan's gaze as the battle carried on. Scanning the battlefield from above, Susan returned the gaze and shook her head at Peter, worry in her eyes.
Sighing, Peter turned his back to the How, facing the Telmarines just as another unharmed, unused batch of soldiers were sent out onto the field. The Telmarine Army came in numbers so large it would certainly wipe the Narnians out if help did not come soon. They would need more men, more ammunition, more weapons and more magic. Not just any magic, but deep magic, the kind that only the Great Lion could summon.
He raised his sword.

"Back to the How!" he ordered, repeating this a few times to ensure all Narnians heard and obeyed his command.

"Cut off their escape!" Sopespian hollered. With that, catapults were hurled a huge distance towards the ancient stone structure, hitting it squarely once, twice, thrice. The How began to rumble at the continuous blows, until the old structure could bear the force no longer. Debris from the How piled onto it's entrance, cutting off their escape and decending upon the Narnians who made it inside.