Chapter 14: Bloody, Bloody, Telmarines

Pardon my language in the chapter title :)

Peter and Edmund, both dressed in full armor, strutted out from the small exit of the How, with the Narnians cheering them on on either side. Though they seemed extremely confident, they really were not, for they could distinctively hear their rapid heartbeats echoing and pulsing in their ears. Caspian and Susan, waiting for them at the edge of the area staked for the combat, was no exception.
Miraz, who stationed himself and his throne directly opposite the How, was tightening some parts of his armor, preparing for the combat. He tilted his head towards General Glozelle slightly, whispering words only he could hear:

"If it should appear to be going on poorly..." hinted Miraz, glancing periodically at the loaded crossbow in his hands. "Understood, my Lord" he replied.

Peter and Miraz stepped into the combat area from their opposite sides, both in armor, both with helmets and shields and swords. They began to circle each other in close proximity. The cheering died down in an instant, and complete silence followed, except for the occasional clip clip clip of their chain mail.

"There is still time to surrender" said Miraz, his eyes reducing to slits.

"Well, feel free" replied Peter rather lightheartedly.

"How many more must die for the throne?"

"Just one"

Peter pulled his helmet over his face.
Then, he jumped and swung at Miraz, putting in the force that was driven by his hate for the usurper. Miraz blocked the blow, their swords flashing in the sunlight. There was a second and third blow coming from both parties, and soon only shouts and claps could be heard for both armies had begun cheering.

***

Back in the depths of the forest, the loud galloping of a horse could be heard as Lucy and Amethy rode away. Then there wasn't only a constant clip clipity clop of a single horse but a mass of hoovebeats from behind. Telmarine soldiers on horses were pursuing them, coming closer by the second. This was the worst they had anticipated. And now they're stuck with fleeing for their lives.

"They've seen us!" panicked Lucy.

Amethy contemplated. Dying here, or dying there. Dying here, or dying there. She told herself repeatedly. But she didn't want to die. Not just yet. She wasn't ready to experience the taste of death - slipping away, slowly, breathlessly, helplessly into nothingness.
Determined, she turned herself around on the horse expertly, so that now the two girls sat with their backs against each other's on Destier.

"What are you doing?" asked Lucy, keeping her focus on the uneven path in front of her.

"Don't worry, Lucy" she replied. She reached for a bow from the quiver on her back and strung it on her bow. Twang went the string on the bow as she sent an arrow flying towards a Telmarine soldier who already had his own crossbow loaded and ready. The arrow hit the soldier squarely in the chest and he fell off his horse, his pulse stopping. His horse, startled at the sudden emptiness without his rider's weight on his back, reared up and got in the way of another.

With a few consecutive shots Amethy had taken three soldiers down, still on horseback.
There were four soldiers to go, and who knew if more were soon to come? Amethy shot one last arrow before the remaining soldiers were too close for archery. Taking out a knife, she brought it over her head, taking aim in a mere second. The weapon left her grip and was hurled at the nearest soldier.
It was getting close, closer...
It missed her target.
The moment she sighed disappointedly the weapon struck the horse of the other Telmarine soldier. A shrill, high-pitched neigh came from the horse as the pain forced it to collaspe, sending his rider flying to the ground with a sickening thud.