Chapter 16: How All Was [Not So] Well

At the end of it all, the best day in centuries was bestowed on the Narnians and Telmarines alike; for there was now no more wars but peace, and no more corruptions but a fair and just King for the kingdom.
Peter, Caspian, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, together with Amethy, Doctor Cornelius, Trumpkin, Trufflehunter and the noble centaurs, helpful dwarfs and mice, all made their way back to the Telmarine castle. The trip there was light hearted with jokes and laughter passed around and a spring in everyone's step. Though the journey took more than just a few hours - without rest - everyone felt more comfortable and well than before the war had even begun.

They made great use of the royal wardrobes (and baths for they really needed one) of the castle, with - but not limited to - flowy and beautiful dresses for the girls, comfortable but noble looking tunics for the boys and small hoods and accessories for the Beasts, as well as a jewel or two here and there. Once they were all dressed and ready they rode triumphantly down the roads through the kingdom on their equally well groomed horses, earning the cheers of not only the Narnians, but the good Telmarines - jolly children, kind old women, and men who still believed, a vast difference from those who still sulked and stayed in their houses with the doors and windows closed and bolted; for they still feared the Narnian beasts, especially The Lion.

It was near dinnertime when they returned to the castle; the sun had begun to set beyond the high mountains in the distance. In the joyous atmosphere, Aslan ordered for a feast to be prepared that very night, with all royals, friends and friends of friends to be invited to it. After the feast would be a ball - something that had not been held since the Golden Age.
Hours later the cooks of the castle and the Narnians who could cook had put together a splendid meal, filling the hall with delicious smells and flavours.

There were roasted meat cooked to perfection, fluffy sponge cakes with smooth cream, thick honey which slipped down your throat soothingly, a fruit pile with apples, strawberries, grapes, peaches, mangoes, raspberries and blueberries and slabs of jelly in huge glass bowls. At the ends of each side of the table were generous jugs upon jugs of wine; some dark and rich in flavour, some with so much spice that it would warm one up at the first sip and others clear a red, yellow or completely transparent.

The table they sat down at stretched all the way across one side of the hall, making just enough room for a simple ball; in which you do not dance the type of dance you would in this world but a traditional Narnian dance the fawns knew all too well. The feast lasted for a long time and when it was finally over, with no more food left on the table - for it is a very bad habit to waste food - everyone was up on their feet dancing happily with one another. A step here and a step back, and a twirl and a hop with a clap and all kinds of moves were performed. There were simply no strict rules about dancing in Narnia.

***

At last the sun had set beyond the horizon and the sky was dark, and Amethy, having had danced to her heart's desire, stepped into the fresh air on a balcony for a short rest, admiring the stars in the sky. Behind her, the clop clop clop of shoes overpowered the rhythmic pulse of the waves that crashed against the rocks below.

"Hello, King Edmund" she said, still looking up at the sky. She had called him 'King Edmund' and not 'Edmund' ever since their interaction; if you remember.

"You know it's me?" asked Edmund, rather surprised.

Amethy nodded. "And why, exactly, are you out here? I believe it's your duty as King to be present throughout the whole event" she informed.

"Amethy... well you see... wait" stammered Edmund, who sidled up to close the wooden door which would lead them back into the hall, earning a questioning look from Amethy.

"I know I took things way too far last time and you don't feel the same way... but can't you just give me a chance? I mean... I wasn't too sure about my feelings myself then, but now the Narnian air has worked on me. I'm no longer the boy you've seen the first time we met. I'm King Edmund. And I know this sounds weird, but I'm much more mature than I look-"

"To be correct, 1300 years older than me" interrupted Amethy. Then, she giggled softly at Edmund's annoyed face, oblivious to the fact that her actions contributed to the flutter in his heart.

"Can't you just let me be romantic for a minute?" he asked, annoyed. The smile on Amethy's face vanished as she nodded slowly. "I well just want to tell you that I, well-"

"No, s-stop" said Amethy before Edmund could finish, sucking in a deep breath and tightening her grip on the parapet of the balcony. "If you're going to say you love me... please save it. I might not - no, I will not - say it back"
She understood extremely well that his heart must have been shattered - by her - by then, and that he was a good guy (or boy, well whatever you want to call him). She also fathomed the pain of losing your grip on someone you love, letting he or she slip away from your life forever. She knew how she felt towards him as well, and she couldn't help wondering if they didn't have to part, what would be of them a year or two from then. Perhaps Edmund would win her heart? Perhaps she would drown in the river of love?
But since it was written in stone that there was no future for them as a couple and it was clear cut that she had already made a promise to the High King, ending the relationship here seemed to be the best and only option.

Giving him an apologetic smile, she stepped back towards the door to the ballroom, turning away to hide a single tear that had made its way down her cheek as she left Edmund out in the darkness alone. The moment she closed the door behind her, fireworks of a bizarre of colours lit up in the night sky, illuminating his features attacked with hurt - crimson eyes, flowing tears, and a slightly trembling bottom lip.

***

A/N
This is like the thrid last chapter I think im gonna go to a corner and cry
Bye guys