Chapter 13: Remembering

The green grass in front of her began to blur, not into darkness but into a mix of vibrant colours, that of a palette. With each throb of pain shooting through her veins, she screamed, begging for it to stop.
In a few minutes she was at the edge of oblivion - her body was numb, her breathing hard and despite Edmund crouching over her to help her up, she didn't see his face nor the sky behind him, but the constantly flashing images in her mind. It was as if she was trapped under freezing water, unable to surface at all.
The last thing she could register was the feeling of her body being hoisted up onto Glenstorm's back, and the quick galloping of his hooves echoing in her head.

***

Amethy found herself in the middle of a wood, small and sparse patches of sunlight shone through the thick crown of leaves overhead, and a thin mist surrounded her. There was no sign of a clearing as far as she was able to see. What caught her attention was the sight of two young children not too far away from her.

"Come on!" the boy urged. The boy, who had dark hair and eyes, was seated on a black, maginifent horse. Dressed in the finest, and not to mention handsome, he had a air of nobility around him.

"I don't think we should be going this far," the girl warned as she searched beside the horse, probably to retrieve something she had dropped. She allowed the boy to help her up onto the horse not long after, swinging her leg expertly over the tall back of the horse. Sitting behind him, she squealed a little and tightened the grip around his waist when she picked up a rustle in the grass below, making him grin boyishly.

Amethy smiled at their adorable interaction and proceeded towards them. "Excuse me," she started, "could you tell me where I am?" she asked politely, raising her voice to make sure they could hear her. The two children didn't seem to notice her presence. She jogged closer to them.

"Could we just get out of the woods?" pleaded the girl. Without a word, the boy picked up the reigns and they were off towards the opposite end of the woods.

Rude much? Thought Amethy. Completely confused and lost, she decided to follow them, hoping that they might be able to give her some sort of answer to where she was. Lifting her long dress to her calf and sprinting after the horse who was galloping at top speed, she enjoyed the cool air that teased her cheeks and combed through her long hair, and allowed the scent of pure nature engulf her lungs. Finally, a wave of bright sunlight met her eyes as they reached the edge of the woods.

There, was a beautiful sandy beach. It was a breath-taking sight, a beach more captivating than the most beautiful beach you would ever see in our world, a sea clearer than a glass of pure water.
The children raced towards the sea together, kicking off their shoes as they went. Amethy recognised the place. She noticed the ruins of Cair Paravel, where she met the Pevensies, and Glasswater not too far away, where she almost lost Trumpkin. Amethy took the chance to dash in front of the duo to ask the same question:

"Excuse me, may I know why..."

Amethy's thoughts were cut off when the girl ran straight through her. Then she remembered - the Telmarine Camp, Miraz, the challenge and passing out after leaving the camp.
I must be dead. She told herself. But it all seemed so real. And why was she seeing two children? Okay, maybe I'm alive.

She sat on a rock on the beach as she watched the children play in the ocean for quite a few moments, taking in the calming scent of the sea and enjoying the fresh ocean breeze on her freckled skin, taking the chance to enjoy a break from the mundane routines and stress of war - sleep, eat, practice, practice again, rest.
Soon she found herself hiking up the hill towards the magnificent Cair Paravel, following closely behind the two children who paused momentarily to help each other with the ascent.
They explored the area - the boy took peeks everywhere while the girl climbed up the huge apple trees and picked half a dozen huge, juicy apples for their horse.
The girl tucked into her apple while sitting on one of the low branches of a tree, hanging her legs from the thick structure and looking out at the picturesque view. She sat there all by herself in silence, until the boy ran up to her with something in his hands.