Chapter 17: The Letting Go is The Hardest Part

In a few days time, which passed in a blink, Aslan called for a meeting of the whole Kingdom in the town square. Caspian, walking down the steps to the courtyard, caught a glimpse of the Great Lion speaking with Peter and Susan in the distance. Squinting slightly, he took notice of the way Aslan's eyes were dull and that of Peter and Susan's were gleaming slightly in the light. Positive that it wasn't something positive, he spun on his heel and went off in the direction to gather the rest of the people.

"We are ready, everyone has assembled" said Caspian to Aslan when he was back at the courtyard. Aslan nodded and began pacing in the direction of the town square, Caspian following closely behind him in silence; except the clicking of his shoes against the tiles, for Aslan's soft steps and velveted paws made no sound as compared to his.

The town square was a sea of people, where all the Telmarines and Narnians had gathered together. As soon as Aslan came in sight, the chattering and mumbling dispersed, allowing the Lion and Caspian to join the rest on a raised platform at the front of the crowd.
At the very front of the platform stood the Great Lion himself, Peter and Caspian at his sides. On the far left stood Susan, Edmund and Lucy, and right opposite them Cornelius, Glenstorm, Amethy, Trumpkin, Trufflehunter and Reepicheep huddled together in a neat row. The sun shone ever so brightly down on them, prickling their skin, but none complained at that point in time.
Aslan, smiling at Caspian, gestured for him to begin his speech:

"Narnia belongs to Narnians just as it does to man. Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. And for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the homes of our forefathers"

As Caspian's words slowly seeped in, a man raised his voice above the rest and remarked:
"It has been generations since we left Telmar" he told them.

"We are not referring to Telmar" Aslan responded. "Your ancestors were seafaring brigands, pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world, the same world as our Kings and Queens" finished Aslan, his voice rich and soothing, looking at the Pevensies periodically. "It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start"
There was a moment of silence in the crowd, which was subsequently followed by a soft buzz amongst family members.

"I'll go, I'll accept the offer" a loud voice rang.

"And so will we" alleged a feminine voice. Instinctively, the crowd parted slightly, making way for a narrow path for the two - or three - people. As their faces were exposed from the heads and hairs of other Telmarines, they were revealed to be General Glozelle and Lady Prunaprismia, who had her newborn neatly cradled against her chest. Stepping forward, the three made their way onto the platform in the austereness, ceasing their steps when they came in front of the Lion.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good" guaranteed Aslan. Taking in a deep breath, he breathed, a breath exceptionally long and bursting with warmth, on them; thereafter he turned and purred softly at the oak tree behind all of them. Spontaneously, a crackle reverberated about the town square as the tree began the steady process of unwinding its thick trunk, gradually separating itself magically and revealing a Door in the air.

Through the hole-like Door one could still see the trees, plants and sky of Narnia on the opposite side; just the way you would see it if you were to go round the tree.
Calmly, they took a step to the Door, then another, more confident stride, followed by the next, having put their trust in Aslan. In the split second their body went past the frames of the Door, they had vanished utterly, leaving behind not even a single strand of hair.

"How do we know he is not leading us to our deaths?" screamed a man, pointing an accusing finger at the Lion and sparking a number of very nasty comments, sneers and wails from the people.