I'm not going anywhere - Part 26

Connor POV

Someone wakes me up from my sleep with a rough shake. When I open my eyes I see Romanoff standing above me.

"Time to go Griffen." She says gently.

"Go where?" I ask, rubbing the sleep out of my one eye.

"New York." A voice from the bathroom answers. The door opens and reveals Agent Barton, who seems to be just as tired as me.

I gulp remembering the late time I walked around above the city since I had spent most of my time under it at the SHIELD base. I think it was on our date. Lexi and I had ate some pasta I had made in Central Park.

"Stop." I tell myself. If I keep thinking about her I'm just going to get worked up about it again. I take a deep breath and pick up my stuff. I grab my two standard issue Glocks and I slide my sword into its sheath on my belt. I debate picking up my bow and quiver. I'm not that good of a shot compared to Clint and Lexi but I'm not horrible either. I pick up two throwing knifes and slip those into their sheaths as well.

"Load up on cartridges." Romanoff advises. "You're going to need them." I nod and grab a stack.

We meet up with Captain Rogers and walk over to the quinjet carrier. Captain convinces the pilot of the closest jet to let us on and Barton slips into his seat. The door shuts and we take off to New York, following Stark in his iron suit.

I pull a photo out of my pocket and unfold it. The picture I found in my room when Lexi rightfully moved out to get away from me. I look at the two of us smiling, innocent about the mortal world, unknowing that one of us wouldn't make it past our teens, clueless that we wouldn't spend our lives at camp and that we wouldn't be together for very long. A tear slips down my face and I don't wipe it away.

A deepish voice snaps me out of my daze. "Were you the agent she spent all of her time looking for?"

I look up to see Cap looking down at me. I nod, looking back down at the floor.

"She was a nice lady. She would have been a good leader." He says, smiling at the thought.

"Yeah?" I ask, wondering what he meant by that.

"She yelled at the entire group of us. Even at Fury. Yet no one questioned her point. If we had listened to her sooner, we might not be in this situation. I'm sorry Connor." He says.

I smile. "It's not your fault Cap." I say remembering some of Lexi's last words to me. "It was Loki's."

He puts a hand on my shoulder. "She would be happy for you. More importantly she would want you to be happy."

"Thanks Cap. That actually makes me feel a whole lot better." I say, genuinely feeling a little lighter from guilt. "I was......." I say as I look out the window, trailing off when the skyline of New York comes into view as we fly closer and closer. Rogers turns around and his eyes widen at the sight. Explosions flare up around the tops of the buildings and their is a giant hole in the sky. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought it would be. I put in my comm to listen in on the conversation.

"Stark we're heading north east." Romanoff says.

"What did you do, stop for drive-thru?" Stark replies.

"Yeah what do you want the milkshake or chicken nuggets?" I ask. Romanoff turns around and shoots me a look.

"Ok that was too tempting I'm sorry." I say.

"No problem Connor. Good to hear you laughing. I'm going to swing up Park and lay them out for you guys." Stark responds.

Barton turns the jet sharply and flies down Park Avenue. I see a red and gold blur fly by with more grayish-blue blurs on the first blur's tail. (A/N: Lovely description there Connor, very detailed.....) Romanoff fires the gun and takes out some of the aliens on Stark's tail....along with part of the building behind it.