Chapter 5: Flight

As the sun rose over the city and light beamed through the open windows, I woke up and stretched out my arms and wings. While everyone was still asleep, I decided to walk around by myself. I slipped my shoes on and walked out of the room, grabbing the key card from the desk as I left. I yawned and tried to shake the sleep out of my system as I moved to the elevator. Elevators drove me crazy since I had massive claustrophobia. You don't trap a bird in a closed cage and expect it to stay calm.

     I shook my head and walked down to the end of the hall to the window, opening it and looking down to see what was below. I looked over my shoulder to make sure no one was around to see me, then I jumped out of the window. I opened my wings and the giant feathered limbs kept me from splattering against the ground below. I landed on my feet on the ground and folded my wings in. As I walked into the crowd on the sidewalk, anyone who saw my wings would have thought that they were just the design of my shirt.

     The sun was starting to get blocked by several grey clouds above, so people started getting prepared for rain. As people were walking, I kept my head down. I needed a jacket or something to protect from the rain, so I quickly walked into a clothing store and grabbed a hoodie from the shelf. As I was about to purchase the jacket, I looked over and saw someone getting mugged in the street, but no one stopped to help. I looked around and grabbed a pair of goggles and a bandanna from the counter top, adding them to the purchase. I paid for the clothing and walked out of the store.

     When no one was looking, I pulled the jacket over my body and left it unzipped, then pulled the goggles over my eyes and wrapped the bandanna around my mouth and nose. I then returned to where the muggers were beating a new victim or money or whatever they wanted. People gathered around to take pictures like vultures, so I slipped through the crowd and walked toward the muggers. They looked at me and laughed at me, thinking I looked like an idiot.

     "Didn't anyone tell you that Halloween isn't for another half a year. Either way, your costume is terrible." The mugger pulled out a pocket knife and gripped it as the blade shot out. "But if you can buy that getup, that means you have money on you." I dropped the jacket and let my wings unfold, the black and brown feathers sharpening as I plucked out a few and sent them flying toward the muggers, the feathers slicing the mugger's hand and hitting his friend near the mugged man on the floor.

     "What the hell is he?!" The muggers looked at me and tried to run, but I flew right over their heads and landed in front of them, elbowing one of them in the nose and kicking the other in the stomach. The muggers bent over in pain, so I grabbed their heads and slammed their skulls together, the two collapsing to the ground. I heard sirens approaching, so I grabbed my jacket from the ground, unfolded my wings, and flew straight up like a bullet. By the time cops arrived, I was long gone and the muggers were barely getting up. I watched them cops take the muggers away from the rooftop I was perched up on.

     Several birds landed at both my sides as I looked down. One bird fluttered and hopped onto my lap like it was a domestic pet, so I pet it's head like it was one. I sighed and looked at the people on the sidewalks, seeing how they only cared about what happened around them if there was a crowd. Humans always show the good and the bad of the world, and some go their whole lives without knowing how they affected those around them. I stood up and the birds flew away, and I followed suit.

     As I flew over the city, the wind picking up and boosting my speed slightly as I flew with the current, I looked down at the city and saw how chaotic it was. Muggers everywhere, thieves waiting for their next victim, and not enough cops to stop it all. I kept my goggles and bandanna on as I flew down to the ground again. As I landed, I pulled the bandanna over my mouth and nose and walked down the alleyways of the city.     

     Six males in the alley ahead of me saw me walking through the alleyways and they all approached me. I looked at them and looked for any weapons on them. One of them had a metal bat hanging from their grip, another had a knife in their hand, three of them had brass knuckled on their fists, and the other one had a pistol in hand, ready to shoot. Without even a word exchanged between any of us, the one with a knife charged at me, and I moved to dodge his knife.

     One of the guys grabbed me from behind, but I sent the back of my head into his jaw, making him let go. I ran into the one with the knife and drove his back into the wall, then slammed his arm into the wall, grabbing his knife from his hand and throwing it to the ground. I heard several shots go off from the pistol, but they missed as I jerked my body in opposite directions to avoid the bullets. Two of them came at me, but I ducked under their punches and punched the one to the left in the throat, elbowing the other in his nose. I turned around and flew above the third with the bat, landing on his shoulders before he could hit me with the metal stick. I used all my weight and pushed him into the dumpster in front of us as I landed behind the one with the gun. Before he could shoot again, I sent a knee into his stomach and picked him up from the ground, slamming him onto the floor.

     One of the guys rushed at me, blood rushing from his nose, but I sent him into the wall. I pulled him back and sent my forearm into his face, his body falling to the floor as he held his face in pain. The guy who had the knife picked it up again and rushed me, along with two of the others with their brass knuckles, but I slid under one of them, going between his legs, and swept them from under him. The male fell on his face and laid there as I blocked his friend's punch with my arm and sent my own fist up into his jaw.

     He collapsed as he held his mouth, but his friend got up and rushed at me with the other male standing. I jumped and kicked off the wall, then flew over the two as I grabbed them both and slammed them onto their backs on the ground. All six of them were on the ground, with me standing above all of them. I gathered their weapons and threw them all into the dumpster, then left all their unconscious bodies by the dumpster for the cops to get them.

     I returned to the hotel and removed the goggles and bandanna from my face. I entered the hotel room and noticed the time. Everyone was up, and Fang looked at me as I walked through the door.

     "Dude, where the hell have you been? We didn't see you in your bed, and nowhere near the hotel." Fang stood up from the bed and walked over to me, but I shook my head.

     "Just exploring the city. Needed to spread my wings." Fang looked at me like I was caught in a lie, but sighed.

     "Alright. Next time, leave a note or something. With the Grand Master after us, we need to make sure none of us have been taken." I nodded and sat on my bed, tossing my bandanna and goggles onto the nightstand beside my bed. I laid down on the blanket and mattress, then closed my eyes. I was a bit tired from my morning exercise, so I decided to sleep for the time being. I'd let the others talk among themselves as I slept.