Chapter 10: Casualties

It was quiet when I woke up. My face hurt like hell and all I could see was a dark blue sky with grey clouds all over. It wasn't going to rain, but the sky looked... sinister. I looked up and saw Fang standing above me.

     "She's awake guys.." He crouched down and looked down at me. "You were out for a while. Had enough time to find the car again and drive out here." I wanted to say something, but something kept me from doing so. Blake walked over and stood above me as well.

     "That was a pretty bold move you played back at the hotel. I'll admit, it was impressive the way you turned all the energy toward me, but I don't forgive you for it. Also, trying to run from the fight? Didn't think that was your style, Redhead." Blake looked up and at someone, but I couldn't move my head to see. "Are we done here, yet?"

     Kyle walked over with a shake of the head. "No, not yet." He looked down at me and smirked. "She's got one last person to say goodbye to." I blinked slowly, and when I opened my eyes again, it was Jace. And he was... holding Brit, carrying her in his arms as they looked down at me. I wanted to reach up to grab Brit, but I couldn't. I just wanted to know why I couldn't.

     "You know, she's kinda cute. I can see why you'd sell everyone you knew out to save her." Jace looked down at me and smirked. "Pity, you won't see her grow up." I looked up at Jace, wondering why he said that. "Kyle was able to find a phone with signal out here, and called up a few connections. He was able to talk to talk to his cousin and he agreed to take Brit here in. Not sure why he'd do that, but glad he did either way." Jace started to play with Brit a bit as I looked at them.

     All of a sudden, a mysterious male walked over and took Brit from Jace. "Don't worry. I'll take good care of her. Treat her like my own daughter." As the man walked away, Jace crouched down and looked at me.

     "Don't think I forgot all the fun times we had. They were really fun, and while I didn't agree you deserved a second chance, I gave you one. Then you betrayed us again and had us captured." He looked at his watch as it started beeping, and he sighed. "Well, time for us to get going." He sighed and looked down at me. "People deserve second chances. This is my second chance."  He turned and walked away, and I was finally able to look at him as they all got in their cars and start the engines. I couldn't move my arms or my legs, and I wondered what they really did to me. As they drove off, I looked around myself a bit more. I saw my arms and legs, cut off and tossed a few feet away from my face. I screamed, but my mouth was blocked by some fabric that I couldn't remove. I already felt weak and... and that's how I died. I got tired, and after so much screaming, crying for help... none coming to my aid... I closed my eyes, and dropped my head on to the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Jace didn't say a word as we drove back toward Silver Streak City. We stopped right in front of the entrance to the city, in front of a fork in the road, and we got out of the car, my cousin meeting us as he got out. Blake and Fang talked to Jace while I walked over to my cousin, Desmond. It had been years since I got to talk to him.

     "So, little cousin. This is your life now?" He chuckled and shook his head. "I'll admit, I didn't think you were even alive. And joining a cult of assassins based off a video game?" He laughed as he leaned against his car. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it with a red lighter. "Good thing you got out when you did. You don't wanna give up your life for cults. Believe me, I know."

     "Relax, Des. I'm still alive, right?" I chuckled and leaned against the car beside him. "So what's gonna happen with the girl?"

     "Don't worry man. I'll raise her right, treat her like my own daughter, that stuff." He blew out some smoke and smirked. "And I won't smoke in front of her either. So don't go off on me with that crap." We both chuckled and he looked at his watch. "Well, About time we got going." He walked around the car to get to the driver's seat and he looked at me. "If you guys are ever in Sapphire City, look me up. You'll know how to find me." He chuckled and got in his car. He tossed his cigarette out of the window, then took off as he turned left in the fork in the road we were at.