Chapter 11: Vigilantes

Jace drove the car into the warehouse and parked it, turning off the engine as all four of us got out. I stretched my wings out and got my stuff from the trunk, opening the medium sized backpack I got for my stuff. I pulled out the goggles and bandanna I used the last time I played vigilante and wrapped the bandanna around my neck, then pulled the goggles onto my head. Jace looked at me and chuckled.

     "What's up with the bandanna and goggles?" He walked over and looked at the items in question.

     "Well, I thought we would need to cover our identities, so I got these to hide my face." I chuckled nervously, but Jace just shook his head.

     "Dude, what identities? You don't know anyone, Kyle kills most of his enemies anyways, Fang has his parasite things to hide his face, and most everyone I care about thinks I'm laying in a grave back in my hometown in Ivory City." He rolled his eyes, but Kyle shrugged.

     "Well, it would be nice to have some kind of alternate personality to hang onto, just to feel human. So maybe Blake has the right idea about it all." Fang shrugged and leaned against a support beam.

     Jace groaned out, "Ugh, fine... But I'm not wearing any masks." He walked over to the car and grabbed his Duffel bag from the trunk. As we all got our stuff, we found a spot to sleep in and proceeded to sleep. "Tomorrow night, we'll look for some crime to take down." Jace fell asleep, then Kyle, and then Fang. I was awake the longest and couldn't fall asleep until it was around 5 am. When I woke up, the others were waiting for me. We all hid our stuff, then we moved from the warehouse to the center of the city. Kyle looked over at some kind of fancy mask shop and walked inside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I walked through the two glass doors of the mask shop and looked around. There were a lot of masks to choose from, but they stood out too much. They would give me away in a second, something that I didn't want to happen. Eventually, I found something. The mask resembled a mask mask, but the top half was missing, leaving just the bottom respirators of the mask that covered the mouth and nose of the face. There were several thick straps that connected to an industrial grade metal circle that rested against the back of the skull.

     I took the mask off the rack and tried it on, finding it to be almost a perfect fit. I smirked under the mask, then removed it and proceeded to buy it. We had little money left, so we needed to disperse what money we did have left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I wasn't too keen on the idea of masks, but the others had a point. I needed something to hold onto to keep my humanity. I looked around a bit and found a hunting store, which brought up several questions. I rolled my eyes and walked inside of it, looking around the store. It smelled like a log cabin with a hint of cigar ash in the air. I looked around and smirked as I grabbed two bottles of black face paint. I thought of the idea of what I could use to conceal my identity. Along with the face paint, I bought black trench coat I found near the back of the store.

     I met with the others near the center of the city and we returned to the warehouse. When we returned, we waited until the sun dropped. I walked over to a mirror and pulled out my face paint. I pulled the black paint out and covered my fingers with the paint. I then placed them against my skin, smearing it down from my forehead to my chin, like a claw mark from my own claws. I smirked as I grabbed the trench coat from my area and pulled it over my body, the tail of the coat falling just above my feet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     As the sun dripped down, I unstrapped the back straps of the respirator mask I purchased and moved it around my head. Once I positioned the mask to align with my face, I fastened the straps and pulled my assassin robes over my body. I pulled the hood over my head and fastened the exo-gauntlets around my wrists.  I looked at the others and saw that they were prepared, Fang's mask not needing much preparation time. All he needed to do was pull out his parasites and they covered his entire face with something resembling some kind of futuristic helmet to protect his head from any fatal injuries.