Chapter 14: Preparation

Jace and I walked with the sniper into the Flood District, heading to the bookstore he talked about. He walked a little slower than usual, given the beating Kyle gave him, but we kept him standing as he headed into the back alley behind the bookstore. Jace stuck to the shadows of the alley walls, pulling his hood over his head,and I pulled myself up to the fire escape above, staying out of sight until we were needed. After a while, we saw someone turn the corner into the back alley and move toward the sniper. We stayed out of their sight as we watched the scene go down.

     "What have you got for me this time?" The person asked as the sniper leaned on the wall for support. Kyle really did a number on him, but he was our only way to the Grand Master at that moment.

     "The target's dead. House went up in flames and the target was listed on the dead list," The sniper replied as he even sounded pained in his voice.

     "What happened to you?" The other person questioned as they saw the sniper's wounds. The sniper shook his head and held his leg as Jace and I began to move closer.

    "Couple of bastards got the jump on me. But it's nothin' to worry about." The sniper kept his body against the wall as he talked. "I got the job done, and I would like to get the payment." The other person nodded and pulled out a fold of cash from his inside pocket. The person told the sniper to turn around and head for the exit, and that he would get his money in a few seconds. Before he handed it to the sniper, he pulled out a Colt M18 revolver and held it to the sniper's back.

     "The Grand Master appreciates your cooperation." He sent two shots into the sniper's spine and he collapsed to the ground. Jace saw that the person's back was still turned and he took the opportunity to come out of the shadows and grab him from behind. As Jace did that, I moved to the sniper's body and checked for a pulse.

     "He's still alive, but he's bleeding out fast." I looked to Jace and he nodded.

     "You get him to a hospital," He told me as I picked the sniper up. "I'll get some information out of this guy." I carried the sniper towards a hospital nearby and checked him in. Once doctors got to him, he was taken to intensive care. Wasn't that long ago we were here for Kyle, but I couldn't let my mind linger on that subject. After he was taken, I left the hospital and made my way back to the warehouse. I told myself I would come back to check on him, once we dealt with the GM's scout.

     I made my way to the warehouse, where Jace had already taken the scout and tied him up. The scout did nothing as he had his arms tied behind his back, didn't even look at any of us. Jace was the first to break the silence as he sat in front of the scout and held out an apple.

     "Want a bite?" Jace asked the scout, but the scout didn't budge. Jace shrugged and took a bite of it. "Don't say I didn't offer you anything," He said as he chewed the piece of apple. "So, what's the deal with the Grand Master?" The scout still refused to talk, and Jace shook his head. "Some Grand Master. All he's done is send people to their death, probably traumatized that boy in there, and get his ass kicked by us in about ten minutes."

     "The Grand Master has not failed!" The scout exclaimed as he stood up. Jace looked at him and smirked, knowing he hit a nerve. "The Grand Master is not defeated. He will return stronger than before, and you will be destroyed Wolfpack," The scout said as he glared at us.

     "The Grand Master can try, but he's gonna fail," Jace responded as he stood up and stared down the scout. "What's he planning? Answer, or we let our recently unhinged assassin friend here make you share the same fate as that sniper you gunned down." Kyle looked at the scout and walked over. He shot out a blade and held it to the scout.