Chapter 12: Destruction

As Fang and I returned to the warehouse, I couldn't take my mind off who Alpha was. Obviously, he was like me and had wings if that Hybrid confused me for him. But who was he? Fang opened the warehouse doors and walked in, waiting for me to follow. I walked inside, but sat down near my stuff as I kept my mind wondering who Alpha was.

     "So that was an interesting fight." Fang laughed and looked at me, but I didn't pay attention to him. "Something on your mind, Blake?" I didn't answer as I kept my thoughts on Alpha. Who was he? Why was he gathering up Hybrids? How many Hybrids were out in the world? So many questions I couldn't answer myself.

     Suddenly, Kyle entered the warehouse through the window on the second level. He looked down at us as I finally returned to reality and looked up at him. "So how was your night, guys? I had to deal with a hitman myself."

     "You think that's bad?" Fang scoffed as he looked up at Kyle. "We had to deal with a guy that stretched his entire body like a centipede!" Kyle opened his mouth to say something, but all that came out was, "Well, damn."

     "Where's Jace?" I looked around, seeing that we were missing the fourth member of our group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     As I walked along the rooftops of the city, I heard my earpiece going off. I heard the others calling my earpiece, but I took it out and smashed it against the ground. I needed to be alone for a bit and reflect on the choices I had made. I thought of everyone I killed out of instinct, and racked up the death count of everyone who died because of my stupid choices. Jordan, Dawn, my mother, Crystal, my dad, a small chunk of my hometown, and Ember.

     I didn't know how I slept so easily at night. I was a monster, a murderer, a reaper, a demon. As I sat on the rooftops, I heard a gunshot go off and someone cry for help. I slid down to the empty streets and saw a single man running away from another male armed with a simple Colt M1911 pistol. Before the man could take another shot, I grabbed his shoulder with one hand and slice the Colt barrel with a formed blade.

     "I don't think so, pal." Before he could say anything, I sent my skull into his, knocking the man out. I laid him on the sidewalk and pulled out his cell phone. Unlocking it using his own thumbprint, I called 911 and said, "There'll be a man knocked unconscious on the sidewalk near Cherry Road. He tried to murder someone in the streets, but his weapon has been taken care of." I left the call going as I dropped his phone to the sidewalk.

     "By God... It's you." The victim walked over to me as I turned to look at him. "You're Jace." I tilted my head as I looked at this man, wondering how he knew me. "You probably don't know me, but I used to work with your father. I helped him think of the serum to cure your mother of her illness. How is she? Did he ever finish the serum?"

     "He finished it alright." I held up the blade that my arm was in the shape of. "This is the result of it. As for my mom, she died."

     "Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. Well, I am Dr. Addison Grimmius." I looked at him and immediately my instincts told me to kill this man. "Now, I bet you're wondering if I have anything connected to the serum that created your powers, but I swear I don't. I only came up with the idea, and a bit of the formula, but that's it. I don't have any of it with me. However, I did have a serum of my own, and I think you could help me."

     I scoffed and rolled my eyes, replying with, "Yeah right. Why would I help you create this serum?"

     "Because unlike the people who took the serum from your father and tried to make money off it, I followed the news of what happened with the others who worked on the project, I only want to help the world. I am close to creating a serum that could practically take years off their life. Their skin would be erased of any aging, any diseases would be cleansed from their body, and it wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg." He started to walk past me, then turned to look back. "So will you help me or not?"