Chapter 9: War

I looked at Kyle as he gripped the cell bars. "Betrayed again... " He sighed and sat against the bars. "Who were we kidding? We can't take on the Grand Master. He has a whole army, and what do we have? We're just 4 kids in over our heads." He sighed and pulled his hood off his head.

     Fang stood up and walked over to his bars, leaning against them. "Don't say that man. We're not over our heads."

     Jace shook his head and punched the bars. "Give up the act, Fang! We're COMPLETELY in over our heads!" He sat on the bench in his cell and sighed. "We can't take on an army."

     I nodded and laid down on my wings. "I've spent my whole life behind a cage. Maybe that's just how my life is meant to be lived..." I got comfortable, but Fang smashed his fist against the bars.

     "Listen to yourselves! What the hell is this talk??? We can't do it?! We've done it before!" He looked at us as we all moved to look at him. "No, we don't have an army with us. Yes, we're 4 kids. But guess what? We're MORE than just kids now! We were able to break out as complete strangers to each other."

     "But Ember said that--" Kyle was interrupted by Fang saying, "Fuck Ember! She doesn't know shit!" Fang leaned on the bars. "You guys say we're just a bunch of kids, but what have we done in the past year we've known each other? We grew, we evolved, we adapted, we got better. We also got closer as friends and as a team. We started as complete strangers, but now we're more than that guys. We're friends, we're practically brothers in arms! We're a team, and hell, we're even more than that!" He looked at us and smirked. "We're a goddamn Wolfpack!" Jace, Kyle, and I all stood up and looked at him, leaning against our own bars. "And I don't know about you guys, but I still got some fight in me. Wanna take on the Grand Master or die trying?" He looked at us, and Jace was the first to sigh and shrug.

     "Fuck it. All my plans were cancelled, so why not?" Fang and Jace reached out of the bars and bumped their fists together.

     "It would be nice to fight one last time." Kyle nodded and they all looked at me.

     "Alright, fine. I'm in. Got nothing else to do, anyways." Kyle and I bumped our fists together, and Fang started elaborating on a plan he had in mind. Before anyone could do anything, several servants walked into the room and unlocked our cell doors, dragging us out to the Grand Master. Beside his seat was Ember, who was waiting to take her reward.

     "My servants tell me you planned to escape just now." He smirked and walked over to us. He wore simple dress pants with a white button up shirt and a tuxedo vest over it. His shoes were nice and clean, seeming to be barely used, as he walked over to us.

     "Shit. Told you they would know, Fang." The Grand Master smirked and walked back to his seat. He snapped his fingers and looked up at some servants. "Bring in the girl." The servants walked out and came back in about two minutes, walking in with the little girl Ember talked about.

     "Brit!" Ember tried to move, but the servants wouldn't allow her to. The Grand Master smirked and snapped his fingers again. Two mores servants came out with a different kid, this time a boy. The boy was significantly older than the girl, looking around Kyle's age.

     "Meet my son, Richard. He was supposed to, one day, take that girl as his wife. Only when they were of the right age and he was old enough to take my place." The kid rolled his eyes and stood beside some of the servants. "So I'm wondering if I should give up the girl to you, Ember."

     "We had a deal! I gave you the Wolfpack, and you give me my freedom and Brit!" The Grand Master chuckled, and waved his hand.

     "You can have your freedom, but you'll have to leave Brit behind."  The girl in question was asleep as one of the servants held her up.