Chapter 5: The Fellowship of Friends.

Jasper woke up due to the sun forcing itself into his eyes. He stretched before questioning where he was. When he looked about he found himself on top of a bale of hay infused with flagons and situated just outside the Crowns walls. Upon further inspection it seemed that he was not alone. Two red bushy tails with white tips protruded from the bale.

Oh god, when did they show up?

Jasper tried to roll himself off the top of the bale without waking those who resided inside it. He was but a few seconds away from a safety when a shadow swept over him. Jasper stopped mid-roll, hoping that the shadows owner hadn't seen him.

''INCOMING!'' Stephanie squawked, her wings tilting to bring her back around towards the hay bale before folding in. She dove straight into the hale bale and, for a moment, Jasper thought she'd hit the bale a little too quick this time.

Sure enough, a laugh followed by twin groans confirmed their continued existence. The falcon's head came first, her plumage somewhat ruffled but was already settling back into its predetermined positioning. Her burgundy feathers even folded down into her pale green, tight, flight harness from which she hung her crossbows and bolts.

The foxes then emerged simultaneously on either side of the bale then. Brigitte's tangled mane was almost as bad as her brothers but Julian's was still being pulled upward by gravity as the fox was upside down.

''Well this isn't right...'' Julian said before twirling around in the bale and eventually dislodging the hay around him. He slid out and down the bale before coming to a stop at Jasper's boots.

''So, funny seeing you here.'' Julian jumped up and stood uncomfortably close to Jasper, their whiskers almost touching tips.

His 'armor' was as it had always been; redish tight boots with a pair of white trousers flowing from them and an orange tunic with a deep V covering the rest of his torso. His great sword was sheathed across his back and Jasper was again awed by the foxes strength. This great sword was rather thick, a detail that had cleft many a foe in twain when Julian used it to his advantage yet must have made it extremely heavy.

The twin's had always worn identical outfits but were very different combatants. Julian was slow but would devastate his enemy with a single blow from his great sword whilst Birgitte would run past you and seconds later you'd be dead and never know why.

Her ability with her twin daggers was genuinely scary and made her the deadlier of the two by far. Still, Jasper wouldn't want to fight either of them as whenever one fought the other would rally to their side no matter the circumstances.

''Yes...funny...I'm sure there's a reason for your being here.'' Jasper crossed his arms in an attempt to secure the little space that was left between himself and Julain.

''There is.'' Julain said, his tail rising behind him and creating an aura of reddish fur about his person.

''...and it would be?'' Jasper motioned circularly with his hand as if to catalyze the reason into existence.

''Same reason as you are.'' Stephanie had pulled herself from the hay and was now plucking the remaining strands from her body as she spoke. ''Our services are required by the king.'' Jasper looked up at the bird. She had no reason to lie. None of them did.

''Very well...'' Jasper said before nodding to the group and walking back towards the courtyard.

''He doesn't seem that deadly.'' Jaspers ears caught hold of Brigitte's' words and he stopped in his tracks.

''...Attack me.'' Jasper spoke loudly. He kept his back to the group and didn't draw his rapier but did ready himself by closing his eyes and focusing on the sounds and smells around him.