Chapter 21: International Blindness.

Alexander slipped his tea as he leaned against the closed window, watching as Maisie somberly pulled her clothes up around her on the other side of the room.

He loved how none of her jiggled as it did on most women. No, not her. Everything about her was tight.

Still, she wasn't as she had been.

Over the past few days he had broken her in a bit and at least now she wasn't trying to constantly kill him, but her soul was gone. Even now, in the darkness, he could see that she was sulking because of how her eyes were trained on one spot on the floor.

Still, what a specimen.

The heir's she'd give him were sure to be impeccable.

''Do you want food?'' Alexander asked her. ''I can go grab you something if you'd like.''

Maisie didn't answer. She didn't even seem to register his words.

''I said: Do you want food?'' Alexander asked again, louder this time.

But Maisie only glanced towards him for a split-second before returning to her slow self-dressing.

Alexander sighed as he put his tea down.

She was trying to ignore him, and he didn't like that.

He walked up behind her. His head loomed over her naked shoulder as his paws traced the outline of her hips.

''Look at me.'' He whispered. Slowly, she turned around, her movements jagged and resistant. She kept her eyes on the floor.

He lifted her chin upwards with one of his paws and held it there, forcing her to look at him.

But still here eyes were focused on the floor.

''Look at me.'' He said, the softness in his voice replaced with a commanding tone.

Her eyes snapped upwards and locked with his.

There was still some spark in her, he knew there had to be. This proved it.

''Fuck food.'' He said, a better alternative arising in his head.

After letting her finish dressing herself, Alexander took her down from her room and escorted her into the gardens with her arm firmly tucked under his.

''Here we are. Nice day for it, isn't it? I don't know why you don't want your windows open but you're keeping the beauty of day at bay by doing so.'' Alexander said, gazing at the cloudless blue sky that radiated light above them. It was plain, but still beautiful in it's own odd way. Maisie didn't look up at it.

As Alexander strolled forward, pulling her as he did so, Maisie glanced about at the flowers. She'd noticed the absence of the rodent servants in the last few days and expected the castle to have been affected in some way.

But, to her surprise, the garden was healthier than ever. The archway frames were invisible behind neatly trimmed vines whilst the beds for the flowers were but a backdrop for the spectacular array of colors that were blooming from all around. It was wonderful to see such splendor in person.

''Not too shabby is it?'' Alexander said, noticing Maisie's interest in the plants. ''I had some Terra Nox rabbits come over and tend to the garden. You know, they made a whole city out of plants in the Terra Nox, a place where the ground is burnt and dead, we made life. Fantastic.''

Maisie couldn't deny that. The Terra Nox rabbits seemed able to do almost anything they wanted.

As she began to stroll with Alexander, he turned left and began to head towards the rose garden.