Chapter 11: Pretty, witty,...

Maisie waited patiently for the Nox rabbit to appear. All through breakfast she pondered what to say to him and how to properly thank him for his help the day before.

Still, she knew that part of her also wanted to use him to get some leverage on her soon to be brother in law. Exactly how she could do this was still a mystery, but Maisie felt certain that there was some way to gain some sort of advantage.

Sadly, she was actually a nice person so blackmail and the like had never had to be her forte. Politically, the field was actually quite well run with a cabinet of advisors elected by the population annually.

Whilst they were only advisors and had hardly any actual power, Richard listened intently to their advice as, through them, he could hear his subjects.

Maisie was sitting in garden when she heard the guards approaching.

She glanced towards them and saw that two guards were escorting a black rabbit towards her.

She jumped up and briskly walked towards them, signaling the guards to leave with a flick of her wrist once they'd brought him close enough.

The Now rabbit stood looking at Maisie in disbelief for a few second before regaining his senses and bowing.

''Your grace, thank you for the privilege of your time.'' He remained in his bow whilst he spoke, as if afraid to stand.

Maisie was surprised to see that he'd come in a very fashionable set of emerald attire. She'd half expected him to still be in his rags from the day before, but she assumed they might have been a bit too bloody for him to actually wear.

''The pleasure is all mine...''

''Krios.'' Krios said, slowly standing up once more. ''My name is Krios.''

Maisie was surprised to find that his eyes were light blue and not silver, like the princes.

''Well, Krios, I was thinking of how to repay you for the kindness you showed me yesterday, so-''

''Your grace, please don't. I just did what anyone else would do, that's all. It was how I was raised.'' Krios interrupted. ''Its just a pleasure to see these gardens and look out over the city.

Anyway, I don't want to take up too much of your time so-''

''You can't get away that easily.'' Maisie interrupted, taking the conversation back by force. ''I demand that you stay for tonight's ball. So, please stay.''

Krios considered the offer for a few seconds before looking down at his attire.

''Your grace, I'm hardly dressed for the occasion.''

''Don't worry, I'll have the maids find something. You're a Nox rabbit, right?'' she asked. Krios nodded. ''Well, the princess might have something that suits you then!''

Krios froze when Maisie mentioned the princes.

''...The princes are...here?'' Krios asked.

''Yes, both Gordon, soon to be my husband, and Alexander.'' Maisie answered, perplexed by Krioses sudden change in character.

''I need to go.'' Krios said, storming past Maisie and towards the sea.

''Your going the wrong way!'' she shouted after him.

Krios stopped, looked back and then walked to closes wall of the garden and sat down in its shade.

Maisie wandered over to him, watching as he inaudibly muttered to himself.