Chapter One~Flights

Chapter One
Flights
Elizabeth Carlyle Cullen

Grandma drove us to the airport in absolute silence. The windows were rolled up tightly, the air rushing by outside created a soft vacuuming noise as the car barreled down the highway. Her eyes darted over to look at me every so often, usually making sure my seatbelt was still tight or that I was sitting up straight in case the airbag deployed.

Grandpa Charlie says that Grandma Ren didn't used to be so strict. He swears that she used to be a wild and free-spirited person, that is, until they lost my mother.

I have never known my grandmother to be anything but overprotective and overly-cautious. Growing up under her ever watchful gaze was certainly a trying thing at times. Still, I understand the desperation she has to keep me safe. I'm all she has left of her only daughter, physically speaking anyway.

After getting the car parked at the airport, my few bags out from the trunk, and escorting me to the passenger departure area safely, Grandma finally took a moment to breathe.

"You don't have to do this, you know." She grinned at me, a genuine smile that hinted at her previous days of joy.

"I love Forks!" I swore to her. "Grandpa Charlie and all of my friends will be so disappointed if I don't go for the summer like I always do."

"I know, I know." She sniffed, tears starting to brim her eyes. "It just seems like it was only yesterday that I was here with your mother, sending her away to Forks," she said, sniffling. "You're the same age she was."

"I know it's scary for you to let me go." I assured her. "But I'll be fine! What could possibly happen to me in the town my grandfather is the chief of police in?"

"A broken arm?"

"I was seven, Grands" I muttered. "I was growing into my height, give me a break!"

"Okay, okay." She giggled softly at me. "Are you sure you'll be okay?" She reiterated.

"I'll be fine, Grandma." I said squeezing her hand tightly. "I'm seventeen now, remember? I'm a big girl that can look after herself. I'll only be gone for the summer." I flashed her my best smile.

Grandma chuckled, "Your mother was thinking the exact opposite when I dropped her off here. You're positive that you'll be okay?"

"Grandma," I said, steadying my expression before looking deeply into her eyes. "I'll be fine. I promise. I'll be sure to call you when I get there. But, I really need to get going, or I'll miss the flight."

"Alright then, come here, you." she sighed in defeat as she pulled me into a warm embrace. "I love you, Elizabeth."

"I love you too, Grands." I promised her, hating that this moment was feeling like a real goodbye.

"Off you go now! Don't be late!" She said, pulling away quickly and ushering me towards the gate.

Miraculously, I managed to get through all of the necessary security searches and bag checks and actually make it on the plane with time to spare. I would land in Seattle first before taking another short flight to Port Angeles. Grandpa was sure to be waiting excitedly for my arrival. And who was I kidding? I couldn't wait to get to Forks either! So many people to catch up with, friends to see, and places to explore. I may have grown up in Florida a majority of my life, but Forks has always felt like home to me.

The vacant seats next to mine filled while I anxiously watched cargo crews taxi about the runway. I turned to offer the mother and daughter pair a polite smile as they took their seats, a pang of jealously stabbing my insides at their close relationship.