Chapter 4

Authors Note: Shout out to ZoeMcCulloch for her wonderful comments! You wanted the Cullens so...here they are! And I even left you a little present at the end! Thank you so much for reading! And to anyone else reading, why don't you leave me a comment or just take a second to say hi? *wink

***********************************
Edward POV

It has been almost eighteen years since I have last seen my angel's face. Over eighteen years, and yet it feels as though I left her only yesterday.

Why? Why did I go? I think too hard, that's why. I just wanted to give her what was best for her, and to let her be free! And what did I tell her? I told her I didn't want her anymore. Oh, such a horrible lie. I hated to lie, but I had to. If I didn't, she would've come with us.

Every time I closed my eyes, I saw her beautiful face, shining and smiling at me, even though I am a monster. Sometimes, when she used to tell me that I wasn't, I would believe her. But now when I close my eyes, I see her hurt, pained expression, after hearing those wretched words. I feel even more of a monster than ever now.

What can I do? What can I do to cease this endless pain? Go back to her, my mind tells me. Go back to her? How I'd love to do that. But I haven't even seen my own family in over six months! I've hurt them almost as much as I've hurt my sweet Bella.

Bella. My Bella. Her name is constantly in my head, her beautiful voice chiming in my ears. It's funny how I still put a claim on her, though I left her long ago. How I long to see her, more that anyone could ever imagine. I sigh and rest my head in my hands.

I take in my surroundings. I'm in the woods, sitting on the grassy floor. I spend most of my time doing this, sitting and doing nothing but remembering. I can remember it all so clearly, the day I left her.

My phone vibrates annoyingly again in my pocket. I ignore it again, but eventually I sigh and then take it out to check it. My family always calls to check on me, though I never answer the phone. Ever. I decide it's probably time to change that, and treat them better. They don't deserve to be treated this way when all they've ever done is try to help. And I miss them.

I have a voicemail from Carlisle.

"Son, the whole family is staying in Forks for the summer. We-we would all love for you to come. Spend some time with people who love you, I think it will be good for you. I'm going to be surprised if you listen to this and shocked if you actually come. Hopefully you'll listen to this...because...well it's me. I don't know if you will come but I'm going to invite you anyway. Come home son, I'll be waiting."

Could I handle that? Could I handle going back to the town that started all this misery? It would be hard, but yes, I could. It's not like I'd see my Bella anyway. I've been too selfish, and I will go, for my family.

I pick up the phone and start to dial Carlisle's number, but then I stop. I'd rather surprise them, to some extent anyway. It'd probably be impossible with Alice's gift. The moment I decided, she probably saw it and was telling the family right now. I imagined her perkiness and smiled. It felt odd and unusual, an expression I'd made foreign over the past years.

I stood up and made plans to hunt. I haven't hunted for so long. I shouldn't let myself get so thirsty. I'd make today a hunting trip, and first thing tomorrow, I would go back to Forks. I took a deep breath and smelled a large bear. I was on my way back to sanity.

***********************************
Carlisle's POV

"No way!" Alice squealed after emerging from a vision.