Chapter Twenty

Edward POV

"See, I told you they would get along." Bella smiled softly at me as Nahuel and Elizabeth came in laughing.

"You have no idea..." I chuckled, hearing both of the hybrids thoughts.

As soon as Nahuel saw Elizabeth, his thinking pattern changed completely, he suddenly became centered around her. She would move, he would unconsciously watch her. She would smile, and his mind would swarm with thoughts of happiness and a million other emotions.

Now that they're back from their walk, a little experiment of mine, his thoughts are solely focused on her. Bella just said that they would be great friends...but it seems like my theory of them becoming something more may be right.

"Hi daddy, hi mom." Elizabeth bounced over to us and smiled widely as she hugged us both tightly.

"Hi sweetheart, did you enjoy your walk with Nahuel?" Bella asked.

"Yes, very much. He's very sweet." Elizabeth giggled.

"He is, I was afraid he was going to be too hard on you. Did he tell you about his sisters?" Bella asked and my interest peaked.

"No, he mentioned them, but he didn't say anything about them." Elizabeth shook her head.

"Well, they don't really get along, he calls them 'deranged' and hardly ever speaks with them. I think the only one he actually can stand is his younger sister Jennifer. She's actually not too much older then you." Bella spoke quietly.

"That's aweful!" Elizabeth cried. "You thought he would be mean to me because he hates his sisters?" She asked.

"Nahuel is a very special person, he doesn't think like anyone else I've ever met. He quite frankly hates himself, so it was a possibility he could've hated you by association." I added to the conversation.

"Why does he hate himself? He's wonderful." Elizabeth asked sadly.

"Why don't you ask him, get to know him." I urged her. She cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Does he like me like I like him?" She questioned me in her thoughts.

I winked at her and she smiled brightly.

"Why don't you go get Nahuel? Esme has lunch ready for you both." I smiled at her as she bounced out of the room and tugged a smiling Nahuel with her.

"See? They're going to be the best of friends." Bella smiled happily.

"Friends...right." I laughed.

****************************************
Elizabeth POV

After Nahuel and I finished lunch we went and sat on the back porch while the others continued their planning for the confrontation tomorrow. Nahuel asked me about my favorite foods, just trying to make conversation to keep my mind off the fight.

"What do you mean you don't like chocolate?" I gasped in surprise.

"It's so bitter." Nahuel chuckled. "I don't see how you can enjoy it so much."

"Bitter? Have you only ever had dark chocolate?" I asked.

"Yes, I think that's what it was called." He nodded.

"See, that's where you went wrong, dark chocolate is the worst. Milk chocolate is the best, that's the type you've got to try." I laughed.

"I'll keep that in mind." He laughed in response.

"Nahuel? Can I ask you something?" I questioned suddenly.

"Of course." He nodded. "Elizabeth," he turned and grabbed my hands in his "you can ask me anything. Don't be afraid, please, I'm here to help you."

"Why do you hate your sisters?" I blurted out, he stilled completely from shock.

"Well," his features softened "I don't think I hate them, hate is a very strong word. No, I don't hate my sisters, I'm afraid of them." He admitted shyly.

"Afraid? Why?" I asked further.

"They've been brainwashed by our demented father. They think that humans are no different from wild animals. They see everything so differently, they've got such huge god complexes it's truly horrific. Except little Jennifer, my younger sister, she's constantly at war with herself. She knows our father and sisters are wrong, but she's too afraid to stand up for herself, so they walk all over her." He sighed deeply, tears starting to line his beautiful teak eyes.

"It's okay Nahuel." I slipped my arms under his and hugged him tightly.

He latched onto me, crying and hyperventilating, and I desperately wished I could take away his pain. I have never been so personally affected by someone's pain before in my life, I felt my heart hammer in my chest as Nahuel sobbed into my neck.

"Shh," I ran my hands over his shoulders and back "everything's going to be okay." I cooed.

"I've lived like this for one hundred and fifty years Elizabeth, under constant terror caused by Serena and Maysun, all because our father is some crazed 'scientist'. And poor little Jennifer, my precious little sister, has lived her twenty five years being suppressed by the very people who are supposed to love her the most." He sobbed hard for a few minuets. "And the worst part is, I just want my mother."

"Oh Nahuel." I cried with him "I'm so sorry."

"Treasure your parents Elizabeth, I see in them what my parents should have been. Your fathers compassion and your mothers bravery are two things that should be cherished." He told me softly, after he had recovered from his episode.

"I will, I promise." I sniffed, wiping away the tear stains on my cheeks.

"I wish I could just sit here and hold you forever Elizabeth." Nahuel spoke quietly, speaking my name with reverence.

"Me too." I sighed happily, burying myself deeper into his chest and long dark hair.

"But, regretfully," he pulled away from me, still keeping my hands trapped in his, and adopted the most serious look I've ever seen on his face. "we need to handle the Volturi first."