Chapter Eighteen

Elizabeth POV

One day.

Twenty-four hours until my family and the wolves are going to face the Volturi on my behalf.

Needless to say, I'm terrified.

I don't want my family to die. I don't want the innocent wolves to die. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me.

"Hey, there you are, what are you doing out here?" Grampa Carlisle came outside, where I sat on the porch.

"I wanted to watch the sunrise." I answered plainly, not really feeling up to the task of talking.

"Still not sleeping well?" He asked concerned.

I shook my head no.

"Mind if I take a seat Elizabeth?" Grampa asked and I shook my head.

I've noticed that ever since we discovered my gift, I haven't been talking a lot. I don't really see the point to it anymore. I can communicate so much better with my gift then with actual words.

"What was last nights nightmare?" Grampa asked me quietly, as if it was some secret subject.

I put my fingertips to his cheek and concentrated.

I was running.

I'm always running now.

Except now I'm not running away because I'm being chased. No, I'm running TOWARDS something. Something that I know I can't reach in time, but I'm trying desperately anyway, hoping that by some miracle I'll make it.

As I'm running through the woods I break through the tree line and walk into a dazzling meadow.

Wild flowers and sunshine fill the almost perfect circular meadow. It's such a peaceful and beautiful place. And, if I hadn't have known where I was, I would've welcomed the feeling of peace it gave me.

Except I knew exactly where I was.

And I knew exactly who was waiting for me.

"Hello young Elizabeth!" Aro laughed at me from across the meadow.

He stood alone this time, which was a relief, but I still felt wary of his presence.

"Hello, Aro." I greeted very cautiously.

As I stood there, watching him with cold and worried eyes, he leapt towards me and seized me by my throat. Holding me in midair, he put pressure on my windpipe, cutting off my air supply and causing panic to shoot through my bloodstream.

"Please." I gasped, using the last of my air supply, clawing at his hands.

"Where is your father now little human?" He sneered.

With a slight squeeze of his fingers he snapped my windpipe and crushed my esophagus. He dropped me onto the ground and as I suffocated I watched him casually waltz away.

My vision blurred then blacked out altogether as my lungs finally gave out.

"Oh my!" Grampa exclaimed, gasping from the intense feelings of pain and sorrow. "That certainly is alarming."

"They always are. It's been like this for two weeks Grampa!" I cried, burying my face in my hands.

"Everything will be alright, you'll see Elizabeth, we must have hope." He cooed, wrapping his arms around me.

"What use is hope to me?"

"Hope is what's going to get you through the next few days. We have to have hope or we may as well surrender our fight." Grampa chided me.

"What good is it too fight when we know we won't win?" I asked, desperately trying to understand.

"We will. We must." He sighed. He hugged me tightly, got up, and walked back inside.

I watched the tree line for what seemed like hours, just thinking, until someone stepped out and came running over to me.

"Claire?" I cried happily and she swept me up into her arms.

"I was so worried about you. I couldn't stand sitting at home like nothing was happening anymore, I came to see how you were." She gripped me tightly.

"I'm fine." I shrugged.

She pulled away and just stared at me.

"Okay, maybe fine is a non-literal term." I sighed and she giggled lightly.

"Tell me all about it." She smiled sadly.

*************************************

"I'm so sorry Elizabeth." She sighed, hugging me after I had told her everything.

"I'm just trying to figure out what to do. I don't want anyone getting hurt because of me." I sobbed.

"They won't, well, not if you look at it the same way I do." She paused, collecting her thoughts before she turned towards me. "Your family loves you. They're all so protective of their family, and you're the cause of the Cullen Clan repairing itself right now. When your mother and father broke apart, it tore a hole in your family, much like the hole it tore in your heart. You're all trying to repair that hole, and your death would only destroy the Cullens altogether. No one is going to get hurt because of you, they're willing to get hurt for you."

"Claire, have I ever told you that you're the best friend I've ever had." I cried, throwing my arms around her and holding tight.

"I think so." She giggled.

"Elizabeth! Why don't you and Claire come in? Our guest will be here soon." Daddy called from the front porch.

"I've actually got to run. Emily's going to be so mad." She laughed, squeezing me tight before running off. I laughed as I walked up the steps and went inside.

"Where's Claire?" Daddy asked, opening the door for me.

"She had to go back to the res." I answered.

"Oh, did you enjoy your talk?" He asked, slipping his arm around my shoulders and leading me into the living room.

"Yeah, I did. Claire helps." I smiled.

"Good." He smiled back widely, happy to see me feeling better.

"You're close? Great!" My mother exclaimed on the phone with someone, and hung up. She rushed over to the door and threw it open wide, someone came in and threw their arms around her, laughing loudly.

His laugh was gorgeous. Deep and hearty, but it still managed to sound light and happy.

"Everyone, meet my friend Nahuel." Mom smiled as he turned to face us.

He was beautiful. Everything about him drew me in. His warm teak-colored eyes, rich dark brown skin, and long black hair practically called me to him. His eyes, though bright with happiness at seeing my mother, looked cautious and secretive.

Looking into his brilliant eyes, I could tell he was a mess of chaos... but I wanted him anyway.