Chapter One: Story Time

Author's Note: I can't help myself, I've been sucked in another Ghost Hunters TV Show: Ghost Asylum on Destination America. And with that the plot bunnys have invaded. Lots more to come.

Enjoy.

...

Chapter One: Story Time

"And they lived happily ever after. The end." She turned the last page and closed the book. She rested it in her lap, folding her hands and looked up. A smile a mile wide as the children stared back at her. Their imagination lost in the fairy tale she had just finished reading to them.

"Can you read us another one, please?" Six year old Denny, with her big brown eyes asked.

"Yes! Can you..." The other children surrounding her chimes in.

Blasts of cool air swirled around Kenzie, sending chills up her spine as she watched the children huddle around her for another story.

"Pease Kensie, read to us. We lobe stories." The youngest of the children, Mikey who is just four exclaimed, scooting closer to Kenzie. His ghostly blue eyes met hers. "Pease."

How could she ever say no to them? She enjoyed every moment with the children; watching them through close eyes when it became story time. The way their eyes lit up or the smiles or laughter when she would use different voice tones for the characters she read.

"Read the one about the boy who could fly." Ten year old Leo suggested, folding his arms and resting them in his lap. "We really enjoy that one."

Kenzie laughed. "But I've read Peter Pan at least ten times already. Surely there is another you want to hear."

Together the children shook their heads no. Since the first time that Kenzie read Peter Pan to them over the course of two months, at least once a week she would be asked to read it, repeat it. By now, the three older children, Leo, Carol and Josh had parts memorized and would help Kenzie out. The other children, Mikey, Susie, Denny and Abby would watch closely as they were told the story.

And Kenzie loved every minute of it.

They all had come along quite well in the two years she's been visiting. Abby was the first she encountered. Before she discovered that their was more children inside, Abby was all she ever talked too. And than it was Mikey, who she instantly adored. Leo and Josh followed next. The two brothers who even in death were together. Denny was next. Kenzie had to sit a few hours before she came out from behind the door. She would smile and play with the toys she brought when Denny finally came out and asked if she could play too. Susie was also shy, but when she saw the Barbie doll; it became her favorite. Carol on the other hand, she was the chatterbox and exposed their whereabouts when she went to investigate the old orphanage grounds. While the other children disappeared, she stayed behind.

Through Carol, Kenzie would later learn of the tragedy that plagues Sunnyside.

The memories from the oldest child still haunts her to this day.

"It seems you are out numbered." Carol giggled. "Peter Pan it is."

Kenzie didn't have the heart to argue or suggest something else. She reached into her back pack and pulled out the book. "Alright, you guys win but tomorrow we'll read one of the new ones I brought."

She adjusted herself against the wall, pulled the blanket closer around her shoulders and opened the book.

...

Kenzie didn't get far into the book when the muffle sounds of car doors closing could be heard. Her head shot up and she turned towards the window.

She didn't have the slightest idea who it could be. Not many people from town ever came to this place. The dark history kept them at bay. And she knew that she wasn't expecting visitors. She wouldn't put the children in danger.

One by one the children gathered around the window, checking out who came.

"There's five..." Leo reported.

"I'm scared..." Denny said, grabbing a hold of Josh's arm.

"Why are they here?" Carol asked, her own fear showing in her eyes.

Kenzie quickly got to her feet and walked to the window. She saw the men standing around their trucks conversating, pointing to parts unknown. Her own worries were beginning to creep up on her. And questions she didn't have answers too.

"Kenzie..." Abby spoke softly, looking up at the woman next to her. "Who are they?"

Her shoulders shrugged, keeping close to the wall as she looked out the window. She watched them closely. "I don't know Abs, I've never seen them before."

"Are they here to hurt us?" Susie asked, wrapping her arm around Mikey who whimpered.

Kenzie turned and looked down at the children. Their fears were strong, pulling at her heart. She swallowed the lump in her throat. "I won't let them if they are. I swore to protect you guys and I tend to keep my promises."

She sucked in a deep breath and slowly let it out.

"What will we do?" Josh asked, taking Denny's hand into his. He had to be strong for the younger children, even if he too was scared.

Her instincts kicked in, backing away from the window. She grabbed her back pack up off the floor and stuffed her blanket inside. "I'm gonna go find out what they are doing here." She began telling them. She looked at each of them forcing herself to put on a smile. The last thing she wanted was for the children to see that even she was worried.

"I want you guys to hide and I don't want you to come out or make a sound until I tell you that it's safe." She slung her back pack over her shoulder and clenched the book to her chest. "We don't know who they are or what they are capable of doing."

The three older ones nodded, knowing they would have to keep the younger ones quiet.

"Now go." She ordered. Her tone wasn't harsh or mean. But it was stern. She had to keep them a secret. Even if they could be curious and want to explore who these visitors were. Would they be just like Kenzie who could see them? Are there others with her talent? New playmates?

"Pease, come back..." Mikey said. "Finish Peter."

Her hand was chilled as she placed it upon his head. "Don't worry, I will." She saw a little shimmer of hope in his eyes as he smiled.

"Come on guys, let's go to our favorite hiding place." Leo said, taking hold of Denny's and Mikey's hand. "We can play hide and go seek."

Their laughter was music and Kenzie chuckled. With a blast of cool air, they disappeared out of sight.

And when she knew that they were gone with no trace left behind, Kenzie went to go greet their guests.