Chapter Two: Ghost Hunters

Sorry for the long wait. I sometimes tend to get into a rut and it takes forever to get out of it. Things are about to get really interesting and I hope that you stick around to find out what's going to happen. More to come and enjoy.

...

Chapter Two: Ghost Hunters

She stuck to the walls as she made her way down, looking out the windows as she passed them making sure that they were still outside and not wandering around inside. Something she didn't need happening, strangers weren't allowed to wander the grounds of the orphanage.

Not until she talked to them and find out why they were here and who they were. She didn't recognize any of their faces; never saw them in town before. It was a small town, everyone knew everyone.

Kenzie stopped when she reached the door. Her nerves were rattling, she never confronted anyone before...not alive. It was easier to talk to the dead, they normally did the talking and she did the listening. They seek her out not the other way around.

She was curious for sure why strangers would come to the one place that not even the town's people would step foot on the property; they avoided it like it was a plague. Could she blame them? No. The children weren't the only ones inside.

She brushed off the need to turn and run away. This wasn't about her or her lack of confidence to confront people. This was for the children she swore to protect. She told them she would never let anyone: alive or dead hurt them anymore. She kept her promise since than. Locking away the wicked witch in the basement and keeping any outsiders away.

And she feared their new guests never got the memo. There was no warning for visitors; Mike Taylor, the property owner didn't call her to give her the heads up. No sign or details that five guys would come to Sunnyside Orphanage. Now she must convince these people that there is nothing to show and be on their merry way.

She sucked in a deep breath and let it out before she stepped out of the building.

"Can I help you guys with something?" She asked stopping at the top of the stairs. She locked her fingers together and she stood there.

Heads turned and eyes met hers. She kept her posture strong; she wasn't going to back down. They shouldn't be here, no one should be.

"Oh, hello." One of them said, rubbing the back of his neck. He looked at her confused. He didn't remember reading or being told they would be greeted at the door. "We weren't expecting someone to be here."

"That makes two of us." Kenzie told him, "Are you lost? Need directions?"

"No. We're not lost." Another stated, looking at his comrades. "Uh...who..."

She met his confused look. "What are you doing here?"

The shortest of the group stepped forward ready to defuse before it got out of hand. There must be some kind of mix up. "I'm Chris, we're the Tennessee Wraith Chasers and we are here to investigate Sunnyside Orphanage."

She swallowed the lump. "Ghost Hunters?" The color drained from her face, feeling lightheaded. Her hand reached out and grabbed a hold of the railing. "How..." That was all she was able to get out. Her hands trembled as she pressed one to her forehead. She started getting overwhelmed with her feelings sending her in a downwards spiral. She lost her will to speak or defend her sudden actions of dread.

What the hell was she going to do now?

Chris wasn't sure if it was just a natural instinct to go to her before she lost her balance, but he did. His touch was gentle as he grabbed her before she met the concrete. "Are you okay?" His words barely reached her.

Kenzie nodded. She shook her head to clear the cobwebs. "Sorry, I don't know what happened." She muttered, turning to look at him. Their eyes met. "We weren't expecting visitors..."

Before he could question who we were, she realized what she had said and was quick to change the subject. She needed to know who sent them.

"Who sent you?" She asked him, slowly backing away from him. She gave her best appreciative smile, she could have very well met her untimely doom if he didn't stop her.

"The owner, Mike Taylor." Porter said, stepping forward. "You know him? Because he forgot to mention there would be someone here."

"Is there a problem?" Doogie was next.

That would be Mike and this isn't the first time he has forgotten to tell her something. She was going to strangle him the first chance she got. Why wouldn't he call her? Why would he leave her out of the loop and not tell her he was getting ghost hunters? She wouldn't be forced to barricade them from stepping inside. She wouldn't panic. This wouldn't be happening...

She reached into her back pocket and pulled out her phone. "Mike and I had an understanding..." She stated as a matter of fact. She dialed his number. "No strangers were allowed here." She stepped off to the side, at this point she didn't care if they heard her conversation.

The phone rang twice before he picked up.

"Hello Kenzie, what do I have the pleasure of your call?"

"Don't act like you don't know. Dammit Mike, when were you going to tell me you're allowing ghost hunters here?" She flared, turning her back to them. "You know this is a delicate place..."

"I called them and asked them for their help. They agreed to come and check it out. I didn't think it would be a problem. Is there a problem Kenzie?"

"They don't like strangers, Mike. I promised them I would protect them, not exploit them for some damn television show."

"Listen Kenzie, I didn't see the harm in it. They are the real deal. I figured they can help you out. Save the children, isn't that what you wanted? Save them?"

"Yes it is, but not like this."

"Time is running out MacKenzie. The demolition will be there Monday morning. You have until than."

"Dammit. I thought you were going to hold off on tearing down the building? You said you would give me time to get them out."

Mike signs softly. "Kenz, I did. I gave you two years to figure out something. I can't stop the demolition anymore, too much money is at stake here."

Her head dropped, fighting the urge to cry. She couldn't believe he was still going through with tearing down the orphanage even after he has experienced the children himself. Proof was always what he needed to become a believer. And she gave him that. "What am I suppose to tell the children?" She asked quietly, only Mike could hear.

"I don't know but I'm sure you'll think of something. You always do."

This was breaking her heart. "You didn't tell them did you? I don't need this turning into a circus."

"No, I didn't, that is on you. It's up to you if you want to tell them about your gift or get involved. But I really do believe that they can help you."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "For being a skeptic Mike, you sure did rush to get ghost hunters." A chill went through her spine. "I just wish you would have told me this was what you had planned. I would have had time to tell them."

"This wasn't planned out, Kenz, it just happened. I know you need help. They are really experienced with ghost hunting and catching them. Maybe they can...help you."

"Yeah..." The conversation was over as she ended the call.

This was not going very well...