Chapter Three: Spirit Talk

She wasn't being discrete about how upset she was on the phone. Her appearance took them by surprise. When agreeing to check out the orphanage, Mike Taylor never warned them that their would be someone on the grounds. Luckily for them, they weren't filming; it would have made things more awkward trying to explain this sudden surprise.

"Porter." Chris began turning to his friend. "Are you absolutely sure Mike never mentioned someone would be here?"

"Yeah I'm sure." Porter replied, having no recollection of a conversation about a woman being there. "We only talked about what's been going on inside. The hauntings and the sounds of children being heard inside."

Chris looked at her, watching her; staring at her. He tried to come to his own conclusion but nothing came that was reasonable. She wasn't a fan to the show. Her face expression was anything but starstruck when she learned they were ghost hunters. She wasn't there for an interview; Porter took care of all of that. She wasn't even a curious bystander who was checking out the place. They don't carry backpacks and blankets. "Than who is she?"

"Your guess is as good as mine." Doogie said next.

"Maybe, we should ask her." Brannon, Chris's younger brother suggested. "Maybe she knows about the spirit of Miss Rosemary."

"Any bit helps." Chasey said.

"I don't think she's thrilled about us being here." Porter offered his opinion, leaning up against the truck.

"I agree."

Kenzie put her phone back into her pocket. She took a deep breath before turning to face them. She felt humiliated, embarrassed that she over reacted. Ghost Hunters were uncalled for. She could figure this out and how to free the children. Surely it was possible to do so in just four days before Mike sends his demolition team in and destroy the orphanage.

Who was she kidding? This whole situation was making her sick to her stomach.

When she was facing them, again all their eyes were set on her. She felt uncomfortable standing there on the top step.

"Is everything okay?" Chris asked.

"Uh, yeah." She said as she went down the stairs. She shifted her backpacks weight, a kink struck the middle of her back. "I guess you were right. Mike gave you guys permission to be here."

Kenzie pushed her hair from her face, trying not to let her feelings get the best of her again. One melt down was enough. "I apologize for my actions. I didn't know this was what Mike had planned. I overreacted."

"It's not a problem." Doogie said, seeing her distraught. "I think we were all taken by surprise. But it's all good now."

Kenzie raised her brow but couldn't help the small smile from appearing.

She sucked in a deep breath and held it letting her nerves settle and her cheeks return to their normal color. "I'll leave you guys to your business."

She only made it a few steps away when she was called too.

"Maybe you can help us..." Brannon spoke. He had a need for knowledge and he knew the others weren't going to say anything more. "What do you know about Sunnyside Orphanage? Any information you would like to share with us?"

It was a simple request, harmless really. She should have known it was going to come up. Why not? Any person hanging out at a haunted location should know something.... Right?

And Kenzie knew too much. She knew everything that there was about the orphanage. The secrets hidden within the walls. The spirits she grew to love and care for. The darkness that hung over the building and why no one would ever step foot inside. Unless they knew something.