Chapter Nine: Meeting The Children Part Two

First and foremost I want to apologize for my lack of updating. Work is always the main problem when it comes to updating my stories and than I get in these ruts that takes forever to get out of. But, I'm trying.

Thanks so much for the comments and stars. I really appreciate it and I hope that you will enjoy the next couple parts before all hell breaks loose. Of course gotta have a little fun first.

When you see the italics, it's Kenzie mentally talking to the children.

...

Chapter Nine: Meeting The Children Part Two

"They're here?" Brannon asked as his EMF went silent again. "Where?"

"Just Leo and Josh." Kenzie smirked when Leo stuck his head out from the room behind Brannon and waved to her before darting back in. "I think they like your device there." She pointed to it. She moved from the wall and walked the few steps to the room and looked inside.

It was empty.

The lingering chill in the air sent goosebumps up her arms, they couldn't have gone far. She turned to the others, a sheepish grin knowing exactly what they were up too. "They're trying to be sneaky. I can feel them but I can't see them."

Brannon turned to her. "May I?" He asked, holding up the device. "Do you think they would come and touch it again?"

"Go ahead and see. It may be interesting enough to come out." She told him, giving him full permission to try and interact with the two older boys.

Brannon smiled, turning back to the empty hallway. He took a few small steps forward and knelt down on the floor and placed the EMF reader in front of him. "My name is Brannon and Kenzie here tells me you may like my EMF reader. If you want you can come out and touch it again. Let us know that you are here."

There was a long pause of silence in the hallway as they waited for a reaction. But nothing came. Brannon glanced over his shoulder at Kenzie and she only shrugged her shoulders. Maybe they weren't ready yet.

Before she could apologize for the lack of communications, a chill ran down her spine. The tingly sensation sprung to life. It took only a mere second for her second sight to open up and allow herself to see into the veil. Josh was first to materialize in front of Brannon, a grin a mile wide was visible on his face. Leo appeared almost instantly beside his brother. Their energy levels sky rocket and it was almost overwhelming for Kenzie to feel. She didn't say anything only gave a unnoticeable nod to let them know it was safe. They were safe.

She watched as Josh knelt down to the floor and with his transparent hand he reached out and touched the device. It was loud and it echoed, signaling that Brannon got his answer.

Brannon snapped his head forward, eyes wide and his heart thumping in his chest. It was unexpected for an answer when moments before he got nothing. The corners of his mouth twitched as a smile began. "Hello." His eyes searched trying to reach further than what they could in hopes to see.

But he was unfortunate. Nothing but empty space.

"Do you like this device?" He asked. "Signal once for yes, twice for no."

Josh touched it again.

"It is pretty cool. It helps us communicate with you."

"Can they not hear us?" Leo asked Kenzie looking towards her way.

Instead of speaking the words out loud Kenzie had discovered some time ago that she was able to speak to them with her thoughts. "Most times they can't." She told him, seeing his disappointment in his eyes. "If you use your energy enough to say something they may be able too. They have recorders that could be strong enough to pick up your voice."

"How can you hear us than?" Leo left his brothers side and stood next to Kenzie. He was always curious about how and why she was the only one that could see them.

She sighs softly. "Its apart of my gift, Leo. Something unlocked inside of me when I was born that makes me see and hear you. It's second nature to me."

"Is that how you found us?"

Kenzie nodded, reaching her hand out to him and lightly brushed her fingers through his hair. "Yes, it was."

Leo's eyes beamed when she touched him. "I'm glad you found us, Kenzie."

Her heart swelled. "Me too, Leo. Me too."

His face dropped and he quickly faded.

This alarmed her. Panic struck a chord and she went on alert. "Leo, what is it?"

"Why is he staring?" She faintly saw his arm reach out and pointed to someone. "Can he see us too?"

Kenzie swallowed the lump that rose to her throat and turned to look. She didn't feel it coming when she saw Chris was watching her mentally have a conversation with herself.

A wave that was calming pushed through her as they stared at each other. It tingled within her before it dissipated. It sent chills down her spine.

He smiled at her. He knew.

Her cheeks began to flush as she pulled herself away. There was something about him that made her react differently. This was the third time she noticed that whenever she interacts with this man in some way weird things start to happen eternally.

Kenzie sighed softly and looked at Leo and gave him a reassuring smile. "He can't see you." She spoke mentally. "He's watching me."

Leo stayed faded for a moment longer before becoming solid again. He stared at Chris and watched him slowly making his way to him. "So, if I made a face at him he would not see it?"

"No, he would not." She told him, trying her best to hide the smirk that started to form. She caught glimpses as Leo stopped in front of Chris, placed his thumbs next to his ears and wiggled his fingers as he stuck his tongue out at him.

Kenzie did her best to keep a straight face but failed miserably when she laughed out loud. She clasped her hand over her mouth.

All eyes turned to her.

"I am so sorry." She said through her hand, heat rising to her cheeks blushing something fierce. "I...um..." But there was no explanation she could give. How else was she going to tell them a ghost child was making funny faces. They couldn't see it.

Chris stepped forward. He had his own conclusion to what was going on and when he wanted to approach Kenzie to ask her, he stopped. Cold air surrounded his body wrapping him in a chill that settled deep inside his bones. Emotions that were not his flashed quickly and than dissipated before he could figure it out.

He took a step back, staring at the empty space in front of him, almost as if his mind could reach the veil to see into the spiritual world. For a split second the outline of a child appeared and than disappeared from view.

"Dude..." Doogie's voice dragged him back to the present.

He shook his head once and looked across the hallway at her. Their eyes met and he knew that she knew what just happened. "Cold spot." He said, leaving out the rest. He couldn't take his eyes off of her, something strange just happened. "It took me by surprise that's all. It's gone now."

"He saw me." Leo whispered, afraid that if he talked normally he would hear him.

"Something strange is going on here." Kenzie mentally told him. She looked at Chris for a moment longer before breaking the hold and started to make her way down the hall. "This way." Was all she could say. "Josh, bring the others into the room. There is something I want to talk to you all about."

"Awe, I was starting to like that..." Josh mumbled, getting up from the floor. He was having fun interacting with Brannon and his cool device. He loved it. It's been so long since there has been anyone other than Kenzie who came to visit. And now the fun was over. He looked at Kenzie as she passed him and stuck his bottom lip out at her before he disappeared with Leo close behind.