Chapter 5

Chapter 5

All Rights Reserved

*Raelin's POV*

"What do you want from me?" I ask and she slips her phone into her pocket and switches feet to put all her weight on, which isn't much since she's practically a twig.

"I want you to help me cheat on our History finals. I have A's and B's in everything else except for the one C in History. Help me get an A and I will erase the photo forever," she explains and I take a step back.

Our History final is next week and I have been studying hard for it. How could I give her a good grade that she obviously doesn't deserve? All she does during class is text and she doesn't even study for the tests. I'm surprised she has a grade as high as a C. Well, her parents donate a whole bunch of money to the school. Then again, I'm pretty sure you can't buy your grades. Plus, if that were the reason for her other grades, wouldn't the "buy" her History grade, too?

"Taliyah, I don't think that's right," I finally respond and her smirk turns into a frown.

"Raelin? We all know Mrs. Mesons favors you over the whole class and that you have the best grades," she explains. This is a good plan, flatter me and I might think you're nice enough to cheat. Well, that isn't going to work with me. 

"I don't have good grades simply because Mrs. Mesons likes me more than other students. Plus, she's not that mean. She would never do that," I reply.

"Then how do you get good grades?"

"I work for them! I deserve them!" I snap and she takes a few steps back with a shocked expression as if she expected I would never lose my temper with her.

"Look, Raelin, I am going to say this really slowly," she begins gaining a somewhat intimidating tone to her voice. "If you don't help me get a good grade, then the picture will go on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, it will be everywhere. Heck, I will text it to everyone in school if I have to and I will ruin your life if you don't help mine. I really need to get into a good college. I don't think you understand how much that would mean to me."

"If really meant that much to you, Taliyah, you would work hard to get there. Don't worry, though, ou still have a week to study," I reply and add a smirk.

"I'll give you until Thursday since the test is on Friday to decide what you will do. You never know, Raelin. You might change your mind when the thought of your social downfall sinks in," Taliyah concludes and exits the pizza shop out of frustration.

I walk back over to Haidley and Carrie.

"Geez, she really has it in for you lately," Carrie comments and takes a few sips of her water that she most likely ordered while I was having my little chat with Taliyah. Gosh, Taliyah's grey eyes can be very convincing.

"Yeah. I don't know what that's all about," I admit and slide next to Haidley.

"I think I know why, but I could be completely wrong," Haidley spits out and Carrie's head jerks upward to make eye contact with Haidley. Carrie always wants the gossip.

But, of course, this is how rumors start. Someone has an idea of what happened and others mistake it for the truth. I admit, I've spread my share of stories around the school. I've started rumors before. But, for good causes. I needed revenge on someone.

"Well, don't keep us in suspense! Tell us!" Carrie exclaims.

"Do you remember in elementary school when April and Taliyah were friends?" Haidley asks looking as though she's in deep thought.

"Yes," Carrie and I say at the same time.

"Well, in middle school, they started drifting apart. Now, since we're sophomores in high school, Taliyah absolutely hates April more than anyone else."

"I might be on my way above April," I mutter, but Haidley shakes her head.

"April left Taliyah for a group of smarter kids. Those people are known as the nerds or geeks. I don't think Taliyah hates you, Raelin. I think she's jealous of you," Haidley draws her conclusions.

"What? So Raelin was talking to April about a school project. Why would Taliyah get her panties in a twist over that?" Carrie asks and I suddenly feel nervous. Taliyah must know I wasn't talking to April about a school project.

"Taliyah may think Raelin is hanging out with April willingly. But, that's not true, right Raelin?" Haidley responds to Carrie and then wants my approval.

"Yes," I say without a lot of confidence, but I then I cough and stand up a little straighter. "Yes. It's definitely not true."

"Well, what was Taliyah talking to you about? She looked so mad when she left. Did you tell her the real reasons behind your conversation with April?" Carrie asks suddenly interested in this whole thing Taliyah created.

"Oh, you know, we were just talking about stuff," I lie and feel uneasy. "Sorry, I have to go to the sew-house! I have to go to the house. Which is my home so my parents don't come home and I'm gone." I try to add a smile at the end to make it believable.

"Uh...ok?" Haidley replies noticing how nervous I must look.

"Ok," I confirm and stand up quickly. I head for the front doors without looking back once. I just couldn't see their reactions.

I close the door gently and turn for the sewers. Maybe April would be down there or I could ask one of the turtles where she is. Gosh, that sounds so weird. I wish things would go back to normal. I wish April and I would've never talked. I wish I never set up those walks at night.

As I pass the library, April accidentally runs into me. Wait, why did I need to speak with her? What was I doing? I need to go home. Taliyah could be anywhere.

"Raelin! Have you thought about your decision with Raph?" she asks with two books in her hands from the library, I'm guessing.

"Uh...no yet, but I will tell you when I decide," I reply nervously and begin looking all aound me for Taliyah. I look uneasy, no doubt. April looks extremely concerned since I'm acting like a complete idiot.

"You ok?" she asks and I nod.

"Yep! Never better! I gotta go! See you at school on whenever we get back!" I exclaim and turn around to run towards home.

"Bye...?" is all that escapes April's mouth.

I'm running, more like jogging since I'm not going full speed. Maybe Taliyah saw how I ran away from April. She'll think I'm back to being the same Raelin I was just a few months ago. I can't believe everything was normal such a short time ago. Where did I go wrong?

Is that even a question? I know exactly where I went wrong! The night I agreed to go on walks with Carrie and Haidley. Then, I wanted to go alone because I was curious about who I thought was watching me.

I wish I wasn't curious and just never agreed to walk anyway.

I finally reach my apartment and enter it. I find the couch and notice what time it is from the clock on the end table.

It's 8:40pm which means my mom will be home soon. I could turn on the Food Network and just pretend like that's all I did all day. Yes, that would be good.

My mom doesn't need to know what happened.

Twenty minutes later, I hear the door creak open to reveal my mom holding the mail.

"There is a letter in here for you!" she exclaims and flings an envelope towards me. It has my address in the middle and April's address as the return address.

A letter from April is not what I needed to boost my populrity.

Author's Note:

Here's Chapter 5!! :) Please comment what you think ;)