Chapter 13

Chapter 13

All Rights Reserved

*Raelin's POV*

April and I walk into the school building, and it actually feels nice to have someone to walk by my side who's a true friend. I really enjoy knowing that someone is truly there for me.

I head to my locker, but April's is on the other side of the hallway a few feet down.

I noticed that a lot of the girls in school are wearing nerdy glasses, like mine, and ponytails. After I put my books away and got some out, I head over to April.

"Do you see everyone looking like me?" I ask and she turns around, now noticing everyone looking like me. Including Jessy, Haidley, and Carrie.

"Yeah, I do," she responds.

"They're probably mocking me. Ha ha, so funny," I state sarcastically.

"Raelin! Look at the fashion trend you've started!" Haidley exclaims as she finds her way over to me with Jessy and Carrie.

"Yeah, everyone digs the new you," Carrie adds.

"Guys, what are you doing?" I ask looking duboius towards the fact that they're being nice to me.

"Raelin, now that Taliyah is gone, we just wanna say that we've always truly liked you, but we couldn't stand up to her. She was too powerful. But, now we hope that maybe you'll come back to us. You know, I guess be the new Taliyah," Haidley explains.

"Look, I'm never going to be like Taliyah," I make my point clear.

"Well, not like her like personality, we mean like her like where her spot on the social board was," Jessy explains.

"No way. April here is the best friend I've never had before in my entire life. She stuck by me when it was hard. That's something you guys left me in," I say and tug on April's arm. "Come on, let's go to homeroom."

"I'm not in your homeroom," April explains.

"Oh yeah."

"You sit between us," Carrie states pointing to her than to Haidley and back again.

"You can't ignore us forever," Haidley points out.

"Yeah, and we wanna change and be good like you. We wanna hang out with you and April," Jessy adds.

"I'll have to think about it. I'm not letting you get off this hook so easily," I explain.

"Understandable," Haidley agrees.

"Ok," I conclude the conversation and head separate ways from April.

I enter homeroom and literally almost every single girl has glasses and a ponytail. Today, there is no awkward silence with everyone staring at me. It's the usual noisy morning I've always known.

"Hi, Raelin," a girl greets me.

"Hey," I reply.

"Raelin! What's up?" another girl greets me.

"Nothing," I reply with a new found smile that isn't forced.

"Goodmorning, Raelin!" another girl greets me.

"Goodmorning," I respond and take my seat in the back. 

This has never happened before. I was popular, but I guess everyone was scared I would punch them if they greeted me. Which before, I probably would have. But, people are now comfortable with me. 

I'm not the rude popular anymore. I'm the good kind of popular where you use your power for good instead of evil.

I've never been more proud of myself before.

Carrie, Haidley, and Jessy enter. Everyone is greeting them as well. 

With Taliyah gone, everyone seems so much happier. It's like a big burden has been lifted from this school. This is definitely the start of something beautiful.

Carrie and Haidley plop down next to me.

"Have you thought about it yet?" Carrie asks, being impatient as always.

"Carrie, it has't even been more than five minutes. Give her more time," Haidley scolds.

"Actually, no. I don't need more time. You guys can hang out with April and me," I explain and their eyes light up like Christmas trees.

"Really?" they ask at the same time.

"Yeah. I'll give you both a second chance," I find myself saying.

Carrie hugs me and I laugh, but I hug back. I can start over with my friends and this time, they'll like me for me. This is something I never thought I'd feel.

The bell rings and everyone scrambles off to their first periods. I have Study Hall with April.

"Hey," I greet her in the hallway. 

"Hey."

"So, how would you like it if Haidley, Carrie, and Jessy came and sat with us at lunch today? And maybe possibly started hanging out with us as our friends," I suggest and she smiles.

"I was hoping you'd say yes to them. You could see it in their eyes. They're truly sorry," she responds and I smile. "Besides, it takes a whole lot of strength to say you were wrong."

"Yeah. I'll give that to them. This could actually be the start of something amazing," I admit and she smiles as well.

"I never thought I'd actually enjoy high school and look forward to school," she admits and we both laugh. "And I never thought you and I would end up being best friends. I also never thought you'd end up dating Raph."

"We're not dating," I explain and she laughs.

"You should be," she explains and I chuckle.

"What about you and Donnie?" I ask and she becomes confused.

"What are you talking about?" she asks obviously not knowing about his major crush on her. I've only seen Donnie and April together once, yet it's obvious he likes her.

"It's so obvious that he likes you," I state and she blushes.

"Well, I don't know what to say," she admits.

"Do you like him even the slightest bit?" I ask.

"I guess, yeah," she admits and smiles brighter than I've ever seen her.

"Give it a shot," I suggest. "He really likes you. I can tell. The way he looks at you is just so adorable. He has a hopeless crush on you."

"Ok. Maybe I should ask him out sometime. I think I can see where this goes," she explains and I smile. 

"Donnie would like that," I explain.

We make it to Study Hall where we pretty much are allowed to do anything.

"Wait! Do you think we should ever show Carrie, Haidley, and Jessy the turtles?" she asks and I sigh. I honestly don't know if we should.

"We can hang out with them a little more just to make sure they're not playing us. Then, we can introduce them to the turtles," I explain and April nods.

"All right. Good plan. You're pretty intelligent, Raelin. Before, I would've never thought that," she admits and I nod.

"No one ever does unless they look at my grades. Everyone is astonished when they find out I have a 4.0 GPA," I explain.

"Wow! Mine's a 3.96. Close enough," she says and we both laugh. "But, now, everyone sees that you're smart, kind, and popular. You got to keep everything, Raelin. And, when I walked into homeroom this morning, a lot of people said 'hey' and 'goodmorning' to me! I'm popular as well!"

"That's awesome, April," I validate her. "Hey, how about, you ask Donnie out then I'll ask Raph out."

"No way, you ask Raph out, then I ask Donnie out," she retorts.

"Ok," I give in and we exchange laughter. 

I could get used to this.