Chapter 15

Chapter 15

All Rights Reserved

*Raelin's POV*

Everything I've ever wanted is here. I have a real boyfriend who I actually like and he actually likes me. I have my best friend and my bigger friend circle. I'm still technically the "popular" girl at school and no one has to deal with Taliyah ever again. 

Everything seems too good to be true.

Oh well, I think I should just go with it. I have the life most people want, why should I question it?

I begin heading home with April after we say goodbye to the turtles and Master Splinter. We reach my apartment building and then we head our separate ways. 

I go to my apartment and head inside. My mom is sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of tea, which she always does before she goes to bed.

"Hey, mom! How was your day?" I ask throwing my backpack next to a chair at the table.

"Good! How was school? Did everything turn out fine?" she asks sympathetically as if she were ready to dry my tears if anything went badly.

"Well, Taliyah is gone and I still have all my friends. I think school went great!" I reply and she simply nods her head, completely numb to everything I said as if she prepared herself for every response I could've said.

"That does sound like a productive day," she adds before taking another sip of tea. 

"Yeah, and I might be dating a turtle," I add quickly hoping she doesn't catch it. But, knowing my mom, she does.

"Which one?" she asks as if she's been waiting for this.

"Raph," I reply with a slight blush.

"I could tell he liked you. You can see it in the way he looks at you," she explains and I nervously laugh.

"Thanks, mom...?" I ask unsure whether I should be having this conversation with her or not.

"Don't be ashamed of this, Raelin. Every teenage girl goes through it. Well, maybe not with a teenage mutant ninja turtle, but, you know, every teenager falls in love at least once. I'm just glad this whole thing has brought us closer together. I know that you've been from a broken home," she begins blaming herself for everything I've become.

"Mom, it's not your fault. I'm sure dad would be proud if he could see us today. You did great raising me and I wouldn't change a thing about my life. It has brought me here to this. I just want you to udnerstand that just because you've felt distanced after dad's death and couldn't always be there for me that's not your fault. You had every right to feel that way. I just hope we can be a great family from now on," I explain and she smiles at me. I know that she's been needing to hear that ever since we got into this mess.

"Thanks, Raelin. I'm so lucky to have a daughter like you," she simply responds taking another sip of tea. "Well, it's late and you have school tomorrow. We both need to get to bed."

"Yes, mom," I smile at her as I head to my room. I get dressed into sleepwear and instantly fall asleep on my bed.

~~~next day~~~

My eyes begin to open as I hear my alarm clock go off with an obnoxious blaring noise. I slowly pull my feet over the side of the bed and sit up. I rub my eyes still somewhat tired from the slumber.

I get changed into jeans and a t-shirt with sneakers. I brush my hair and put it in a ponytail and put my glasses on. Getting ready in the morning is so much easier when you don't have to pretend to be someone else.

I head out to the kitchen where my mom is already up and alert for the day to come. She has her alarm set for an hour before mine.

"Have fun at school, honey," my mom says as I grab my backpack and head for the door.

Just as I grab my backpack, my phone buzzes signaling I have a text from someone. I look at it to see it's from April.

Meet me outside your apartment building in two minutes.

I laugh as I begin typing to reply.

All right! Good thing I'm already ready and not still asleep XD

I send it and head out the door. I take the elevator down to the lobby and exit the main building. I see April sitting on a park bench out front.

"April!" I shout and she turns around with a jump.

"Wow, you're fast," she stands up and walks over to me.

"What was so important you needed to meet me?" I ask with a smile.

"Nothing I just wanted to walk to school with you," she replies which makes us both chuckle.

"You made it sound like the world was ending or something," I laugh as we begin heading towards the direction of our school.

"Well, these days you never know," she responds laughing at her joke. I add a laugh as well, but only to avoid awkward tension.

We begin talking about possibly having Carrie, Haidley, and Jessy meet the turtles after school today.

"That idea isn't good, Raelin. What if they tell everyone at school? Or what if they think we're weird and try to ruin our lives?" April asks frantically.

"Don't worry. I think they would understand," I assure her even though I don't really believe myself.

"We could introduce them, but I don't think they would accept them," April thinks out loud.

"You thought I wouldn't accept them. But, I did. It might be the same thing. You never know until you try, right?" I ask hopefully.

"Well, I guess that makes sense," April agrees with me. I wonder if she honestly thinks that makes sense or if she's just saying that to make me shut up.

We arrive at school and see Haidley, Carrie, and Jessy waiting for us.

"Hey April and Raelin!" Haidley greets us.

"Hey, Haidley!" I greet back, but April still looks somewhat nervous about introducing them to Leo, Mikey, Raph, and Donnie.

"Well, another day at school," Carrie complains, which she always did.

"Yeah and after school we have something to show you," I suggest before April could stop me. I'm pretty sure they would find out sooner or later anyway.