Chapter 14

'Any news on the autopsy?' I asked Helena as I joined her in the lab the next day.

'Trevor was definitely poisoned,' Helena confirmed, trying to be professional about it. 'Chloroform poisoning.'

'Chloroform?' I asked in surprise. 'Isn't that the chemical they put in medicines?'

'Yes, but when the dosage is too high, the muscles stop working, their external temperature increases suddenly and the victim stops breathing,' Helena explained.

'Not a nice way to die, then,' I commented.

'He didn't deserve it,' Helena suddenly started to cry. 'He was a good man. A great officer. When you weren't here, he was one of the best in the business. And then something spooked him, made him scared to do anything. I should have been a better friend. I could have stopped something like this from happening.'

'Don't feel bad about this, Helena,' I hugged her. 'I was the one who gave him the drink. I'm the one at fault.'

'No, he would have drunk it anyway,' Helena tried reassuring me. 'And if it wasn't him, it would have been you.'

'Then we need to make sure this gang doesn't strike again,' I said confidently. 'We need to try to catch them out. Put them behind bars.'

'How exactly are you going to do that?' Helena asked, not believing that we could oppose the gang. 'They're the most feared gang in the Glades, the Culebras.'

'I'll think of something,' I smiled.

Helena didn't need to know my arrangements with the Vigilante. It would just put her in danger if the Gang knew she was somehow associated with the Vigilante and I.

---

As I sat down in the Grind & Jolt for my lunch break, I was invaded of my privacy by someone I really didn't want to see.

Tommy.

'Oh, I'm so glad to see you,' I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. 'What are you doing here?'

'I wanted to tell you that I'm really sorry about... What happened,' Tommy said, almost in a plea.

'You've already said sorry, and I won't accept your apology,' I said forthright. 'You did something unforgivable, Tommy. So that's why I won't let you back in my life.'

'But, Laurel dumped me,' Tommy said slightly angrily, his eyes shining with tears.

'Good,' I grinned at Tommy's pain. 'She doesn't deserve you.'

'I promise, I-!' Tommy started.

'I am not going to forget what you did!' I frowned, interrupting him angrily. 'You can't just expect me to go back to you!'

'Aria, please-' Tommy continued.

'Goodbye, Tommy,' I said quickly as I collected my cup of iced tea from the counter.

Why was Tommy suddenly trying to become friends, well more than friends, again? I had no interest in that arrogant cheat.

Now all I could do was focus on the future, not the past. I was going to be working alongside with the Vigilante for goodness sake! Dwelling on the past would just hold me back.

Taking a sip from my beverage, I started to remember how much I'd missed this city. Now I was settled, I could appreciate it for all its glory while it lasted.

Feeling lightheaded, I decided to continue down an alleyway, away from all the business of the city. It was much quieter here, but my head wasn't getting any clearer.