Chapter 30

I didn't have a chance to talk to Marcus before I left for work, as he was in a deep sleep and I felt it was too rude and inconsiderate to wake him for my own interests. Luckily for him, it was a Saturday and Queen Consolidated didn't need him that day.

But I had to go into the SCPD to help Lance with the ongoing case about the shooter. And Lance had found out something very big.

'The Hood paid me a visit last night,' Lance started, raising his eyebrows in both anger and astonishment. 'An assassin called Floyd Lawton, also known as Deadshot, has been carrying out the attacks. And, according to the Hood, one of the buyers in the running for Unidac Industries, Warren Patel, has been the one hiring Lawton.'

'So that's who the killer is,' I acknowledged Lance's research. 'But, what's it got to do with me? There's nothing to analyse here.'

'I needed you to know about the killer,' Lance explained. 'Because I want you to come to the Unidac auction tonight.'

'Why me?' I asked Lance confusedly. 'You have all your men to protect the buyers tonight.'

'You were the only one who knew from the start that there was another shooter apart from the Hood, before anyone else realised,' Lance told me. 'I need you to be another set of eyes at the auction.'

'I'm sorry Lance, but, I can't,' I declined his proposal. 'I have... Other plans tonight.'

I really needed to talk to Marcus and find out the full story, as well as protecting him from The Reverse Flash. He was helpless if he was alone.

'It wasn't a request,' Lance argued. 'And the Queens, who you care about so much, are going to be there. I thought you cared about them?'

'Fine,' I agreed hastily. 'But remember, I'm only a forensic scientist.'

'If I remember correctly, you saved this city from that gang a few years ago,' Lance replenished my mind with the past. 'You fought those men like a cop, and you saved me before it was too late. I know you're more than a scientist, Aria.'

'I'm done with my days as a temporary officer,' I said, shaking my head. 'So don't expect anything spectacular.'

That day, Lance issued each officer, and me, with additional artillery and Kevlar clothing.

'Kevlar?' I asked him with intrigue.

'To protect you from Lawton's bullets,' Lance explained. 'He laces them with Curare.'

'So which side will I be on?' I asked Lance impertinently. 'On the hunting team or as a unsuspecting guest?'

'You'll be with me and Hilton,' Lance raised an eyebrow at my remarks. 'We'll be with the bidders, waiting whilst the rest of my men search the area for Lawton.'

'And what happens if they don't find Lawton?' I supposed.

'Then you'll need to protect the guests from any gunfire,' Lance said.

'You're just using me as the Queens' personal bodyguard, aren't you?' I spouted. 'Or as Lawton's sitting duck.'

'I thought you'd care about that family's safety,' Lance said.