Chapter 19

'How did it go?' Elliot asked me in a small voice.

'Splendid,' I said sarcastically.

'Did you not find him?' Elliot fretted, worried for me.

'I found him alright,' I replied, annoyed. 'But then Merlyn intervened! He's not allowing me be with Eddie.'

'You can't let him stop you,' Elliot said unknowingly. 'And if he does, like he did in this instance, then fight back! I know you're capable of anything, Aria.'

'Look, Elliot,' I started, my upset turning to frustration and aggravation. 'I know you're trying to help, but you can't help me with this. I've tried fighting Merlyn, countless times, and I've tried everything to be with Eddie. But the world seems to make me destined for despair. I already know that my fate is laid out for me; I cheated death, remember? When Merlyn actually killed me back home? And I've always been pointed towards Starling City, no matter how hard I tried to escape. Oh, and I have to befriend Tommy now, too.'

'I'm sorry,' Elliot apologised, overwhelmed with my monologue. 'I'm sorry that you feel you can't change your fate, or whatever you said. But I know that you have the power to change your life! Look at what you've been doing recently; you're saving countless lives from destruction, and you even found Eddie yourself! Don't let Merlyn, or anyone else for that matter, rule your life, Aria. Only you can determine what happens.'

Elliot clearly didn't understand what my life had been like for the past few years. I knew he was trying to help, but there always seemed to be some greater force working against me, making sure I wasn't happy in some shape or form. Right now, the world made sure I wasn't happy in my love life. Like always.

But what if what Elliot was saying was true? Could I 'change my fate' like he said? Was I just using my fate as an excuse to not take charge?

'Thank you, El,' I smiled, hugging my friend. 'I will try to stop all of this from affecting my life, I really will. Just, no promises.'

'I understand it's hard for you to break away from Merlyn's rule,' Elliot acknowledged. 'He really is a control freak.'

'Tell me about it,' I rolled my eyes, making Elliot laugh.

'And, I'll definitely help you with it all,' Elliot reassured me with a smile. 'We're going to be such a wonderful team.'

I'd completely forgot that while I was away, Ted had been training Elliot and Isaac how to fight for our vengeance against Merlyn. So we could defeat him and not let him rule over us.

'Oh, how did training go?' I asked Elliot suddenly.

'Actually, it went pretty well,' he said, surprised at himself. 'Isaac's still better than me, but I can defend myself now.'

'Let's see then,' I grinned.

I threw a punch at Elliot's chest, expecting to hit him, but he ever-so-quickly blocked my fist from his body, twisting or backwards in the process. If I hadn't endured torture on the island, I probably would have yelped in pain.

'Wow,' I exclaimed, commending him. 'You learnt quickly, my young Padawan.'

Elliot just laughed at my geeky joke.

---

'Good afternoon,' I greeted Helena as I started my shift in the forensics lab of the SCPD.

'I don't think we can class this as a good afternoon,' Helena said in a stressed tone, as though she was anxiously waiting for something.