Chapter 34

Storming into the SCPD through the crowds of swarming paparazzi, I found a hotheaded Lance exiting the interrogation room. He looked angry, as if something, or someone, had really ticked him off. And now I was about to make the situation a lot worse.

'What do you think you're doing, arresting Oliver for nothing he's done?' I demanded aggressively, facing Lance. 'I know you've hated the Queens for a long time, but this? You're just being completely petty, Detective. Why didn't you consult me about this before you convicted an innocent man?'

'I knew you wouldn't have agreed with my methods,' Lance said, almost grimacing. 'So I didn't tell you before we went through with it. And you were busy getting arrested yourself.'

'Why's Oliver in custody?' I raised my voice in annoyance. 'He is a good man. He's not some Robin Hood, that's for sure!'

'And how do you know anything about The Hood?' Lance questioned me.

'He saved me, on the night Lawton attacked the auction,' I retold my tale. 'I couldn't stop Lawton; I was too weak because Deadshot got me in the arm. But then The Hood shot Lawton down and he cleaned up my wounds, using stitches and something to extract the poison out of my bloodstream. And you think Oliver Queen is capable of all that?'

'Yes,' Lance nodded. 'And I intend to stop him from doing anything like that ever again.'

Clearly Lance was off his rocker.

'No,' I ordered firmly.

'May I remind you that I'm your senior in this Department?' Lance threatened, nearing more and more towards me. 'Don't let your personal vendettas cost you your job.'

'Like yours aren't?' I huffed rhetorically, causing Lance to turn from me and head off to some place away from me.

Entering the interrogation room, I found Oliver in deep conversation with his mother and Walter Steele.

'I'm sorry, I didn't know you were-' I started to apologise, about to do a three point turn to the door.

'It's alright, Aria,' Moira smiled. 'We were just leaving.'

As the couple finally did leave, I approached Oliver with a frown.

'Why do you look so worried?' Oliver laughed at my expression.

'Lance is trying to persuade everyone in this city that you're some... Monster,' I sighed in upset.

'I wouldn't call The Hood a... Monster,' Oliver raised his eyebrow, as though he was defending vigilante.

Interesting.

'Well, isn't he just some maniac with a bow and arrow?' He tried to backtrack.

I knew Oliver. He wasn't telling me something. Was he actually involved with the vigilante? Who knew which absurd characters he could've met along the way on his journey back to Starling City.

'You talk as if you have something to hide,' I says frankly. 'And that won't help you at all in court.'

'You don't need to worry, Aria,' Oliver smiled. 'I'm going to be fine. I'm innocent.'