Chapter 45

'There's someone at the door for you, Aria,' Thea called for me as I helped Oliver take down the Christmas decorations after what had been one of the most memorable Christmas holidays of my life.

I found Leyla on the doorstep, looking like she was dying to tell me something.

'Thanks, Thea,' I smiled. 'I'll be back later.'

'I'm surprised you dared to turn up at the Queen house, exposed,' I commented as we got into Leyla's car, the driver who had dropped me off at Barker Street at the wheel.

'It's because I have vital information regarding Mr Steele and Mr Merlyn,' she explained, nodding to the driver so he would set off. 'I looked into why Mr Steele went missing, and I found something rather interesting. He and some Queen Consolidated IT employee found out about The List.'

'I remember now,' I was transported back to when I had heard Walter calling a woman called Felicity Smoak about a list. 'I overheard him talking about it to her. That's why I had heard of The List before.'

'I still am astounded that Mr Queen never mentioned it to you,' Leyla commented. 'The List.'

'I know what it is now,' I told her. 'Diggle's been pestering Oliver about carrying on his work with The List ever since he hung up his bow and started having a break from being The Hood. They just hadn't gotten round to telling me about it.'

'I see,' Leyla just uttered.

'Why was Walter looking into The List?' I inquired in a confused tone. 'He has nothing to do with it; how did he even find out about it?'

'He has his connections,' Leyla stated. 'The List isn't only something Robert Queen gave to his son shortly before he died. Moira Queen and Mr Merlyn both know of it's existence.'

'How on earth did you find that out?' I asked my sister, astounded.

'Mr Steele does a poor job of hiding his digital footprint,' Leyla informed me with a smirk. 'I scanned his history for any clues as to why he was abducted. And he had been searching an organisation called Tempest. Naturally, there is no proof of Tempest on the internet.'

'Maybe he just really likes Shakespeare?' I remarked, making Leyla raise her eyebrows at me before slightly laughing.

'Tempest exists, Aria,' Leyla informed me definitely. 'See the work they have done for yourself.'

We had stopped outside an old warehouse, it's exterior looking old and unused for years.

'Are you sure we're at the right place?' I questioned Leyla, but she merely nodded her head.

Stepping out of the car, I quickly looked over the area for any signs of hidden assassins or sinister businessmen. Leyla showed me to a door at the top of a few steps, a modern keypad with a touch-screen interface attached to the wall beside it.

Leyla typed in the word 'Tempest', but that was rejected. She then tried the names 'Queen', 'Merlyn' and 'Chen', but they were also incorrect.

'What are you trying to do?' I wondered as she took a moment to calm down.

'Unlock this door,' she said, assuming I was being stupid.