Task Force Shadow

Over the course of track week, we got to drive some seriously cool, crazy modified cars, all of us got to be pretty good in handling the high powered stuff and the only accident was when a tire came apart on the Lotus for Mercury. He ended up losing control of it and turned it over. The doctor said that if the Lotus hadn't had a roll cage in it, Morningstar and Mercury both would have been crushed. Also, I know I'm gonna sound bitchy for this, but, track week ruined my sense of speed! Between the AWD Chevy and the Lotus's...my Civic was 2,400 pounds and 510 horsepower, it doesn't feel fast anymore! Nina kept telling me to shut up about it because her Corvette felt neutered too. I didn't see how because she had 750 rear wheel horsepower and was lighter than my Civic at 2150, I drove it and it felt like it was trying to kill me. Moving past my weakened sense of speed, After track week, I got to know the members of Sabre team other than Mercury.

Trace, a 8 year old female who was an expert in the AK-47, was bright orange with a gold underbelly and wing membranes. She had blue eyes and black horns and was very, very shy and quiet. I didn't think it was so much from fear as it was from just having a quiet nature. Even when she was being loud, which was rare, she wasn't that loud. She and Mercury obviously had a thing for each other, as I almost never saw the two of them apart.

Riley, who was like, 6, and surprisingly accurate with his SM-221 LMG, had an entirely red body and blue wing membranes. His eyes were pink and his horns were black. He was the complete opposite of Trace, as we could never get him to shut up. He was trace's younger brother and she had warned us in one of her more talkative moments that once Riley was set off, he never stopped. Calling him a stick of dynamite made sense because of his red body and black horns, provided of course you ignored his wings.

Rylar, who was Sabre Team's sniper, was 9, one of the older dragons in the Project. He had brown scales and a blue underbelly with black wing membranes and gold eyes. He was a desert rat for sure and when he wasn't at the range or in class with the others, he was laying on one of the big rocks close to the barracks, down to scales and soaking in the sunlight. I didn't understand how someone could go cold blooded, literally, so quickly. I seemed to be the only one that still rathered AC over the blistering heat of Death Valley. I liked it hot out, don't get me wrong, but I liked it cold just as much.

Leanna, who was quite a good shot with her M4, a very sweet 5 year old, had a pink body and white underbelly. Her eyes were crystal yellow and, as seemed to be the most popular choice, black horns. Her wings were white like her underbelly. She was quiet, but not as quiet as Trace and had this insane crush on Rylar, and, like Jayden and Arnett, Rylar did not like her back, because he was completely clueless that she was into him. Leanna was hurt by it to, though she tried not to show it. Mercury told me that sometimes, he'd hear her crying about it. He and I had talked with her about it, but she put up this stone wall we could never get through, even with a rocket launcher.

The day after track week, Morningstar said he needed time to get something set up, so we had free time until he had it ready, however long that might be. During the five days it turned out to be, I decided to advance my standing with Nina. I wanted to ask her out, but wasn't sure how to do it. I asked Morningstar and Carlos if they could do anything so I could, and Morningstar said he couldn't because he was busy, but Carlos was a different story. He told me he could get a Blu Ray player and set up a movie date if I cloud find out what Nina's favorite movie was. That night at dinner, I managed to start a conversation about what our favorite shows were and managed to bring it around to movies. I asked Mercury first, then Leanna, then Nina, who told me it was The Gallows, which was a movie I'd been wanting to see for a long time. That night in the barracks, it was about a half hour before call time, so I asked Nina if she wanted to go see a movie with me.

I almost couldn't believe that she smiled, and then said yes! Happy, she and I walked to the mess hall where Carlos had set up the player and a huge TV screen. He put the movie on and then left. Let me tell you, as much as I loved it and as good as it was, it scared the crap out of me! I found myself hiding my face in Nina's neck more than a few times. She laughed at it, but I didn't care, especially after she put her arms around me. When the movie was over, I went to take a shower while went she went back to the barracks. After that night, we were staying as close to each other as we could, breakfast, the range, the garage, where and whenever we could. Things weren't going as fast as I would have liked, but hey, she was my girlfriend now, that was good enough for me.