An Eagle's Feathers

It wasn't until five that afternoon that our group made it into Kentucky. The Civic was out front with Citrus Impala not that far behind. We gassed up at the first station we found and then were quickly back on the road, opting to skip dinner until after we'd recovered Calen. It was about 6PM when we drove into his neighborhood, both our cars causing quite a stir on the street, but aside from a few off the beat comments about Vortex's choice of paint, we managed. to avoid most of the attention. We drove around the neighborhood as if we were lost before pulling to a stop in front of Calen's house, Citrus faking catastrophic drive train failure by popping a quick release on her car's diff equipment, giving us a reason to hang around. It was about 8PM and getting dark out when a high pitched, yet lumpy sounding engine which sounded to me like it was the engine from the Bisimoto Porsche 911, in the form of a 2008 Toyota Tacoma pulled into Calen's driveway. The truck was sporting Matte red paint, ZED Racing Bodywork all around, ADD step bars, a K&C Lighting roof light bar and Motige Racing SP 10 wheels.

"This our target Josh?", Citrus asked over the radio

"I'm not sure", I said, "could be just a relative, let's wait and...."

I didn't have time to finish the sentence before Calen stepped out of the truck. He was dressed in blue jeans, a white shirt and had a surplus Field jacket on. He had what looked like a Mac Book Air case slung over his shoulders and he covertly pulled an AK-47 out from behind the driver's side door of his truck.

"Never mind", I said starting the Civic, "let's go."

Citrus and I drove about a block to his house and parked in his driveway. I killed the Civic and stepped out with Rylar while Citrus put her car in park and killed the engine. I grabbed the second folder for Calen and walked to the door and knocked on it. Normally, I wouldn't have heard the Ak bolt go flying forward, because even as a dragon I barely heard it.

"Who is it?", Calen asked from the other side of the door. I could tell form the volume in his voice that he was probably holding the barrel of that rifle right at head level, ready to send a few hornets down range.

"Calen", I said, "it's Josh, put the AKM down and let's talk man. I didn't drive out this far just for you to shoot me in the face."

I heard a faint click and then the door opened. Calen looked hot, sweaty and ready to pass out from exhaustion.

"Almost put a slug in your head man", he said, "come inside, your friends too."

I stepped inside, Rylar and Citrus following behind me. Calen shut the door and slung his AK over his shoulder.

"Normally I'd be excited as hell to finally meet you in person", he said holding out his hand, "but every inch of me is covered in sweat and I ache everywhere, so you'll have to settle for a handshake."

"I'll take it", I said shaking it, "nice to finally meet you in person. Mister President."

"Holy hell", Calen smiled, "you really are serious."