Chapter 15: Cold War

Carl and I laughed in the kitchen as we fed Judith. There was a knock on the door and Mishone entered the kitchen.
"Avery let's go." She said. Our smiles vanished and I gave the spoon to Carl. I slung my AR over my shoulder and Carl gave me my knife. Mishone and I walked towards the door. Carl turned me around.
"Come back alive." He whispered in my ear.
"I promise." I whispered back. Mishone and I left.

  Mishone and I walked together back to Alexandria.
"You did good." She said.
"Thanks."
"Are you and Carl more than friends?" She asked suddenly.
"No." I say.
"Avery you saw that hell hole that we live in back there. You saw the dead and the living, we could have died today. This is a broken world and we are broken people. Everyday we do so much to survive. We don't need relationships to get through this. We need friendships and support. Getting involved with Carl is not wise. Stick as friends and you won't have a problem." I didn't say anything. I think her memory of her son flashed through her mind. But in a way she was right. This is our broken world. We are its broken people. And we must survive.
"We are the worlds broken people." I say. She put an arm around me.
"We are."
"We are."
"Cut!" Greg yelled. We got out of character and laughed.
"Your so fun to work with Rachel." She says.
"I know." I say. We laugh.

After walking out of a dressing room Chandler stopped me.
"What?" I ask.
"I want to know what is going on." He said in the nicest calmest voice.
"I'm not ready."
"Please let me know when you are because I'm ready to move on." He walked away. Norman walked to my side.
"Now your shot through the heart." He said. I had a sad smile on my face.
"Yup. I'm a broken person."
"Hey, that's not true, you are Rachel Maxfield, she is definitely not broken."
"I needed to hear that." He hugged me.
"This is one Cold War." He says.
"Except we are still getting shot through the the heart."
"The sting will go away eventually."
"I sure hope so."
"You know what? Dinner on me guys!" Norman yelled.
"Yes!" Danai yelled back. We laughed and walked to our cars.

(I needed to add a part to this chapter so you decide weather Steve or Glenn is dead. I don't think he's dead but just pretend he is) "This one is to Steven. I'm not happy about killing you off. Your amazing and make make this job something else! I could not have asked for a better work husband." Lauren raised her glass.
"To Steven." We cheered.
"To Glenn." Chandler says.
"To Glenn."
"We are a walking dead family no matter who is killed off we are a family." I say.
"We are." Greg says. We laughed and had a fun meal.
"Chandler hows Grayson?" Christian asks.
"He's great, met a girl, planning on proposing." He says.
"Awe, who?" Alexandria asks.
"A wonderful girl named Michelle."
"That's adorable." Alanna says.
"And when is this one due?" Norman asks.
"Soon, very soon." She rubbed her belly.
"I'm gonna be a aunt!" Lauren says to Alanna. We laugh.
"Scott how are you and heather?" I ask.
"I still love her." We laughed.
"How's Maylon, Rach?" Michael asked.
"She's about to pop, but she's also getting on my nerves."
"How?" Alexandria asks.
"Will you get me a cookie and orange juice. No Rachel, I want 2% orange juice." I quote her.
"2%!" Norman lost it. She was laughing so hard.
"She seriously asked me to get her 2% orange juice."
"That's disgusting." Chandler says. I laughed.
"Right?" That was the first time we had communication since the war started in front of everybody. I felt his gaze on me the whole night. As much as I wanted to tell him every juicy detail and kiss his lips I couldn't because my career met more to me and that hurts to say. I love him but I can not have him and it breaks my heart. As selfish as it sounds that baby could have brought us together. But that's not an option anymore and I have to live with the my broken heart. Because I cannot have the man I love. Because I'm too selfish to stand up and be with him regardless of the consequences that come with loving someone you can't have. Because I am scared.