Chapter Twenty-Two: Truth

[You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have]
-Unknown

Dust-motes danced in the golden air in front of Fallon as she stretched out lazily like a cat. Yawning, she rubbed her eyes and sat up, wincing at the blindingly happy greeting of the sun. As she got up to shut her curtains, she caught a glance of herself in her faint reflection. That one spot above her forehead that had been nagging her for what felt like (and probably had been) years had disappeared into nothing but smooth skin.

"Holy shite," Fallon felt her lips part as she zoomed out and scanned the rest of her face in disbelief.

Her pale skin had earned a splurge of sudden colour, not quite tan, but not the moon-kissed conplexion she had had before. Racing into her bathroom, Fallon felt her heart pounding against her chest like a racehorse, her breathing halting as she caught sight of her in the mirror.

No, she hadn't gone from ugly to gorgeous. She had gone from ugly to... different.

Instead of oily, irritated skin, the surface of her face was softer and not as blotchy. The bags under her eyes were less prominent (although still there) and her hair wasn't unmanageable and frizzy. Sleek and pin-straight, her dark hair fell to her hips as Fallon carefully ran a hand through it, almost scared to move too much in case this illusion wore off. But was it an illusion?

Fallon moved closer to the mirror, swallowing as she looked at her reflection. For once, she wasn't cowering away in fear. For once, she wasn't crying because of her misfortune. For once... she was happy. Her eyes were still the same shade of poop brown, but Fallon decided to complain about that another day.

How had this happened? Was this magic? Fallon distinctly remembered being an unattractive potato for all he toddler years and had never seen this side of her. What had triggered this - to be frank - transformation ? Although she was feeling vain, Fallon couldn't tear her eyes away from herself. She looked so different. Oily skin and hair gone. Cracked lips gone. She almost didn't feel like herself.

All of a sudden, Calbee burst into the room, hair curled beautifully in soft waves that bounced elatedly as she walked. Her eyes were lined with immaculately done eyeliner and her already-long eyelashes were emphasised with mascara, framing her eyes as she swiftly spotted Fallon in the bathroom and rushed over to her.

"FALLON!" she squealed, the exclamation leaving her lipstick adorned lips at a much higher pitch than Fallon had expected.

Fallon turned to her friend, grinning widely, "I know, it's so... odd!" she instantly said, presuming that her changed appearance was the reason for her friend's excitement.

"What?" Calbee arched an eyebrow and titled her head in confusion, "What's odd?"

To make sure it wasn't an illusion, Fallon looked back at the mirror. She still couldn't recognise herself, so she definitely wasn't back to her old self.

"Me!" she answered confidently, although she was as confused as Calbee, "Lo-"

Calbee shook her head frantically, "Tell me later! I have to tell you something!" she cut off, eyes brimming with glee as Fallon ignored the strangeness of the situation and nodded for her to continue.

"I have a date!" she blurted, nervousness taking over her features for a split second.

Fallon forgot her own problems and felt her eyes widen at her friend's news - though more in happiness than shock, "Wow! Good for you!" she congratulated honestly, smiling widely.

After seeing the trauma and depression Sky had brought her, Fallon was more than glad that her friend had found someone new, and hopefully someone worth keeping this time.