Chapter Twenty-Five: Dark

~Author's Note

WE HIT 1K, DYING HERE. 💛💜💙💚❤️⭐️

[You know you're in love when you can't sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams]
-Dr. Seuss

Calbee scowled to herself as the ginger girl next to her returned her glue that she had borrowed. It was missing the lid and the sticky glue was massacred everywhere, looking like World War II in a tube. A swift whistling sound pierced the air as she narrowly avoided a flying object that slammed into the wall a few metres away and clattered to the floor.

Well there was her lid.

On the other side of the room, Asher watched Calbee in amusement. She was practically seething as she got up and snatched the lid up from the ground, her chair screeching in that horrible manner as she slumped back into her seat afterwards. With the gluelid back on, she grumbled under her breath and returned it into the safe abode of her pencil-case.

The low hum of chatter was shattered by the familiar shrieking of the bell that echoed down the corridors and sliced through the room like a cleaver knife. Asher immediately zipped up his bag and slung it over his shoulder, heading in Calbee's direction as the quiet talking in the room soon turned into raucous cacophony. He stopped as Chris beat him to it and greeted Calbee.

Her new boyfriend is such a dick, he thought to himself as she tiptoed to kiss him lightly.

Asher soon got sick of their lovey-dovey mood and marched up to Calbee, "I'm going to find Fallon, you wanna come with?" he asked, 99% sure she was going to go with him.

"Well..." Calbee began, biting her lip as she glanced up at Chris flirtatiously, "Chris and I were going to go out on a date."

Asher narrowed his eyes before rolling them and turning away.

"Fine, whatever," he said, walking off in a strop as Calbee sighed at his attitude.

"He'll come around," Chris commented, kissing the side of her head and placing his hand in hers, "For now, let's just go on that date, yeah?" he smiled a dimpled smile as Calbee gave in to his charm and nodded.

Outside in the corridor, Fallon distractedly wandered out her last period class, eyes directed downwards. A few days ago she had started taking off her hood during class. Her timid personality was still part of who she was, but she had been transitioning out of her hooded ways at least. And now? Yesterday had really thrown her off.

Brook suddenly appearing wasn't coincidental. It seemed as if it had been planned for months - and maybe it had been. Fallon mind was a landfill of jumbled thoughts and confusion, and all she wanted to do was lie down and forget the world. But what had thrown her minecart off the tracks even more was the message that Brook had spoken; it had been clear and practiced. The implicit meaning behind her words were too complicated for Fallon to even begin to decipher.

Be careful, Fallon. Who knows what evil lurks around the corner?

Wasn't Brooks her mother? Albeit she was occasionally icy towards Fallon, but in the long run, she had still been there for her daughter through thick and thin. Well, perhaps only thin. Like, wafer thin. Or hair thin.

But still: Fallon could never imagine her mother being evil. Or malicious. Or even alive.

Fallon had delved so deep into her thoughts that she unknowingly bumped into a hard chest, stumbling backwards, limbs flying as she regained her balance. Flushing with colour, she looked up, finding herself locking gazes with the unmistakably honey-coloured eyes of Asher, "Oh, hey," she said, clearing her thoughts and wiping her mind-slate clean with the eraser that socialising provided.