Chapter 1

It was a nice, sunny day in September when I got expelled from my school not even a month after my sophomore year began. The look on my mother's face when she heard that I was expelled must have been something terrifying, but I was glad that I did not have to see it; however, I ended up seeing one that was ten times worse when she picked me up from the school.

I was, of course, bitter about the whole situation of how I was expelled, but there wasn't anything I could do. My former friends tricked me into a situation that was only avoidable were I to have picked up on the trap, but I didn't. It didn't matter anymore since I was going to a new school. A new school where people like me (delinquents, basically) made up most of the school body.

About two months after the school year started, I was finally registered into my new school. I had obviously missed a lot of lessons and work, but I was never one to study or get good grades anyways. My mother hated that fact, and my father lectured me about it too, but I really did not care. "You'll regret it when you're flipping burgers at a fast food restaurant!" Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't doubt that, but I also don't believe I'll end up in a fast food restaurant kitchen. If anything, I'll be working the drive through.

At about six thirty in the morning, I heard my mom yell, "We're leaving for your new school in fifteen minutes. You better get your butt out of bed and get ready if you haven't already, Eren!"

"I know!" I shouted back, loud enough so that she could actually hear me. I didn't want another situation where she believed I had ignored her even though I answered like three million times already.

Of course, I knew the new school had delinquents and such, but I didn't really know what to expect. My school was a special case. While there was a large number of delinquents, there were mostly students that were completely normal with good grades and a clean record and anything. Something like that must be nice, I thought.

My best friend from my old school, Armin, had researched some things about the new school I was attending at my request, and he told me that they, too, have a leader of their delinquent groups. The one last year was a senior, so apparently, his co-leader is the one who stepped up this year. I was curious to see if he was some actually tough guy or a pathetic wimp who was leader in name only; maybe I'll challenge him for the leader spot.

I was completely lost in thought until I heard another shout come from downstairs. "Eren! Five more minutes until I'm leaving, so you'd better be ready if you don't want to walk your behind to the school!" my mother exclaimed, using a ridiculously loud voice that undoubtedly woke my father up the first time she shouted to me.

For my first day back at school since being expelled, I simply wore a t-shirt and jeans. It wasn't like I owned anything different, really. After one last look in the mirror, I realized I had completely forgotten to brush my hair. While I wasn't one who necessarily cared about how I looked, I didn't want to look ridiculous were anything to happen with that delinquent leader; there was no way I was going to give him free ammo to diss me if it came to that.

My old school was closest to my house, so we had to drive at least fifteen minutes to get to the new one. While my mother didn't care for driving that much, she was going to do so anyways in order for me to get my proper education. Well, she was doing it and hoping I would try to get a proper education for once, but there really was no use hoping. I was more focused on fighting others and getting stronger.

Honestly, my friend always asks me why I like to fight so much, but I never can completely answer him with a good response. I'm aware that I get a bit too angry sometimes, so I suppose I can take out the pent up feelings on others. That's not exactly why I like doing it, though. It's exhilarating, really. The adrenaline rushing through the body while fighting another human is something I enjoy the most. The feeling of victory when the opposite person is on the ground, waving a white flag.