Chapter 3

The next two weeks went by so quickly, and I didn't expect it to. For most of my life, each day was slow, dull, and boring, but suddenly, it was like there was actually something to look forward to other than fighting. Well, this somewhat involved fighting, but most of the time it was just hanging out with Mikasa's delinquent group. After being introduced to them, they appeared to feel comfortable around me as a new member rather quickly; at Oak Valley, it took at least a week or two for the group to official recognize a new member.

The thing is, Halloween came so quickly, and I didn't expect it to turn out as it did even if Mikasa warned me about it. I did not expect that I would be carrying my friend, Armin, while he was unconscious and that Annie was walking with me as we approached the football fields where Mikasa was along with Daniel and a few bosses from other schools. How did this happen? Well, that requires a bit of a rewind to explain thoroughly.

"Next week is Halloween," Mikasa stated casually during a gang hangout afterschool on Friday. Halloween was on a Saturday this year, apparently.

"I know," I answered. "Is there something significant about it?" She had a blank yet serious expression upon remembering how soon the holiday was. What was up with Halloween?

"We need to be extra careful this year," she continued with that same exact unreadable expression. She didn't even look at me when she spoke, yet I knew she was speaking to me since not a single other person was really paying attention to her.

"What? Are you scared of the costumes or something?" I wondered, trying to imagine her getting frightened over someone dressed as "Scream." I, however, could not do it. I could not imagine someone such as her being afraid of someone in a mask. I had thought once that maybe it was thunder, but she had the creepiest smile on her face after hearing it one time; it definitely was not thunder.

"No, idiot," she sighed. "Halloween is the unofficial date when all the local school gang leader's go at each other. Usually, all but one of them will band together and attack a single school."

"That sounds pretty serious," I expressed.

"It is," she said with yet another sigh. "What the former leader of our group did to that poor school's leader last year...he had no mercy." She spoke with sadness, but her face was certainly glowing. "I wonder who is going to be targeted this year."

"If the gangs all group together, don't you think that the one who hasn't been contacted would figure it out?" I asked, still not understanding the logic behind this weird Halloween tradition.

"They don't contact and band together with schools until Halloween itself after the sunsets. We'll have to be somewhere on the school grounds, waiting," she explained. "I'm afraid that Oak Valley will contact others and band against us because of that situation a few weeks back."

"Wait, shouldn't we just contact other gangs first?"

"The leader normally sends their co-leader, but I don't have one. I suppose I'll just have to wait to see if we are grouped together with them or singled out by them." She had that blank expression again with a hint of gloom. "Maybe I should just pick a co-leader at random."

"I wouldn't advise that."

"Halloween's going to suck this year. You better back me up, though. Don't go to any lame Halloween parties or anything, alright? You're mine- I mean, you're my group member, so you can't skip out when I order you not to." She turned her face away from mine, but I couldn't figure out why.

"I suppose that's fine. I'll just have to tell Armin that I can't help him with his house's haunted theme this year," I said, trying to sound a bit depressed so she'd give in and let me get out of it. While I loved fighting, I didn't want to participate in some strange Halloween custom that I was never aware of. I recalled the gang at Oak Valley mentioning how Halloween was a blast, but I never knew what they were talking about; nobody ever invited me to this weird ritual or whatever the hell it was.