Prologue

"Mom?"

"Yes, Rachel?" said my mom looking at me as I helped wash dishes. My small six year old hands struggling  to hold the big plates.

"Tell me about Daddy." My mother sucked in a deep breath of air at my request. She didn't like to talk about my father much. I looked up at her with shining hazel green eyes, "Please?" I begged.

"Oh alright," she said giving in. A wide smile grew across my face. She rinsed off a long silver knife as she spoke. "Well, your dad was an amazing man. Different than anyone I had ever met before. He actually saved my life. That was how we met." I smiled as I listened intently, thinking my dad was some sort of super hero. "His family traveled the country doing their job. Both him and his brother were so remarkable. When I met him I fell in love." My mom's voice was distant and dreamy.

"Like love at first sight?" I asked her.

She laughed slightly, "I guess you could call it that," she looked down at me, black hair framing her oval face, "He asked me to come with them and I ran away with him.  I saw so many things, Rachel. I never knew so much existed out there. We were happy for a long time, but eventually as all things do, it came to an end."

"Did he die?" I stopped rinsing the bowl in my hands and looked at her.

"...Yes he did," Mom paused for a minute, as if she had to carefully word the sentence, "But then I had you so it made it easier."

"That's so sad," I said solemnly as  I finished cleaning  the bowl.

"Yeah," she smiled, "But at least I have you." Mom leaned over and kissed my forehead.

"So, how did he die?" My mother didn't respond at first to my question.

"I will tell you when your older, alright?"

"Alright Mama" I replied with a nod.

After finishing the dishes, Mom and I walked to my room. I climbed into bed and grabbed the hair brush off my night stand, handing it to Mom so that she could brush my hair.  She sat behind me and ran the brush through my light brown hair.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Will you tell me a story?" I asked quietly

"A story? What story would you like to hear?"

"The one about the people who fight the monsters..."

"The Hunters? I thought that scared you?" She asked surprised.

"Not any more," I said shaking my head, "I'm not afraid of monsters. Amy Jones said they aren't real."

My mom gave a weak smile, "That's right honey, they aren't." The way she said this made me feel funny inside but I didn't say anything.  Instead I listened as my mom told  me about the brave heroes who saved the world and forever would protect it until finally sleep wrapped its arms around me.

Mom gently tucked me into the sheets of my light blue bed spread and kissed my forehead once again. "Sweet dreams Angel," She whispered quietly. Mom turned to the window and looked up at the sky, "Watch over her, Lord. Please." She glanced up at the stars in the midnight blue sky, then glanced back at me. Carefully she pulled up a board on my window seal checking to make sure that a thick line of salt was still intact. It was and she carefully put the board back in place. As she walked to my door she gave me one last longing look as I slept then shut the door behind her, a lone cross hanging on the back of my door swaying slightly.