Chapter Fourteen: Runaway

I set my alarm to wake me up at 11:00 pm. I would need as much energy as I could get and having time to spare, I figured sleep was the best option. Sadly, it was riddled with nightmares and jolted me wake with a gasp of terror. I was over heated and my mouth was dry. I looked over at the clock on my Ipod, 10:40 pm. That will have to do. I thought to myself. I gathered up my bags and hung the sheets out the window.

I thought it was kinda funny, running away by climbing your bed sheets out the window. It was like in all those old high school romance movies. No, this was different. It was me leaving and entering a world of constant danger and pain all alone. Wasn't this how I had started out, though? On my own, determined and scared?

I shook off the feeling that had began to cloud up my head. I wasn't going to climb back up and I wasn't about to give up on killing those demons that murdered mom, plus I needed to skin Lily alive, she was going to die. 

When I reached the bottom of my makeshift rope I was starting to have conflict with myself about this whole plan. Where would I go? How would I get there? Would I be kidnapped again? I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. Maybe I was over reacting ...

With a huff I began making my way through the scrap yard to the gate. It was so quiet outside and I decide I needed some noise. I pulled out my Ipod and played one of my playlists. Take It to the Limit by the Eagels begins to play. I kept walking, my eyes on alert for the slightest movement of a shadow, a knife ready in my pocket. Nothing happened.

When I reach the gate I try to open it but a give a loud squeak of protest.

"Dammit..." I whisper to myself. Looks like I was climbing up and over if I wanted to get out. I mount the fence and am quickly over it. As I start walking down the empty roads I stick to the dense shadows along the sides. No one drives by but still I stay cautious. I walk and listen to my music and think about things.

Maybe Dean was right, I don't belong in this life. But then again I can never return to the old one I used to know. This life, hunting and killing the things no one knows about, it about the only open door I see. As harsh as the reality is I can't keep running from my problems or the situations I now face. Surely out here on my own I will die quickly, if not from the monsters then definitely the people. Should I turn back and talk to Dean about what's going on? Sure I could tell Sam but Dean was my dad and I can't use Sam as a messenger between him and I.

I kicked a rock with my foot as I walked and looked up at the stars. A small smile breaking out across my face as I remembered star gazing with my mom. I was 12 when she bought me a telescope. She had taught me how to find the constellations and how to navigate by charting them. It never had crossed my mind as to how she knew any of these things. She was always showing my new things. From edible plants to how to start fires with almost nothing. It had never seemed out of the ordinary...I guess now that I know she was a hunter it all made sense.

I touched the cross around my neck, the one she gave me as she died. I looked over my shoulder down the road I had just walked. She would want me to go back. I had run away once before, as most children try.

"Mama, I'm running away." I said one morning when I came into the kitchen with a backpack and my stuffed animal, a small tiger, in my arms.

"Oh are you?" She said with a raise of her eyebrow

"Yes, I am." I was about 7 at the time.

"Well then you better give that all to me." She motioned to my backpack and tiger.

"Why?" I asked "This is my stuff." Mom shook her head at me.

"No, I bought it so it technically mine, so are your clothes and your shoes and even Stripes." She came towards me and took theses things away from me, except for what I was wearing. "There you go," she said,"You can leave now." I was shocked and tried to go back to get more.

"Nope," said Mom blocking my path,"That's all mine too." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"That's not fair mom!"

"You're the one running away." she said opening the front door. I walked out onto the steps and turned around as she locked the door. My mouth fell open in surprise. I turned around angrily and walked down the steps and about half way around the block I started to cry and came running back. Mom was waiting on the porch.

"I'm sorry Mama," I cried into her as she hugged me,"I don't want to run away, can I come home?"

She knelt down in front of me,"Rachel you can always come home. No matter what." I smiled at the memory and stopped. This was wrong. Family needs to stick together and they were now all I had. I turned on my heels and started walking back to Bobby's. I had things to clear up and no more running.

I walked for another hour before I had come back to Bobby's. I looked at my clock, 12:50 am. I climbed back up the fence and made my way back through the scrap yard. I came to the house and quietly climbed the sheets back up to my room. I put my bag down and sat on the edge of my bed. Then I got up and walked to the door of my room. Gently, I opened it and sure enough there was Dean, just as Sam had said, sleeping in the hallway.

I walked back into my room and grabbed a blanket from the closet. Returning to the hallway I sat down next to Dean and put the blanket over us. I rested my head on Dean's shoulder and listened to the silent old house. Soon my eyes began to grow heavy. I fought off the sleep of a while and played music off of my Ipod. I saw the pail light of the morning starting to come in through the open door of my room.

I smiled as I watched the sunrise. God, who knows how long its been since I had seen one of those. I looked over at Dean and noticed how vulnerable he looked as he slept. His face was relaxed and soft, unlike the face I often saw when he was awake. Was this how my mom saw him? Was this the side that only Sam knew about Dean? It honestly made me sad for my dad. We all had secret wishes and dreams and pain. Dean was very different asleep than awake. You could see that side of him that was hidden.

Does everyone look so young and naive when they are asleep? I wondered. I looked through my room as the sun painted the sky in a warm tint. The dark blue and black night fading away. I felt Dean begin to wake up and quickly shut my eyes. I felt him turn his head and look down at me. He lifted up his arm and draped it round my "sleeping" shoulders and rested his head on mine. I smiled slightly, I guess this could count as a Father-Daughter moment. Nothing needed to be said but it was nice to be right here and now.

Dean "woke" me up gently. I pretended to open my eyes groggily with sleep.

"Good morning," I said with a small smile as I looked at my dad.

"Good morning," Dean replied returning the smile and in the still sleeping house we talked about everything. Just Dean and I. After our conversation was over I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders and that everything was good and clear. Together we went down stairs poured bowls of cereal and watched the classic Saturday cartoon.