Chapter Twenty-Seven: Bargain

I had my pistol ready to fire but what I found on the other side of the iron door was not what I expected. In fact I had in no way prepared to find this at all. The room was decorated in silver and blue streamers and balloons. A crystal chandelier lay shattered on the polished wood floor. A torn banner read "Shooting Stars Winter Ball". A faint whisper of music echoed eerily in the empty room. I walked forward slowly taking in the sight. The tables were flipped over and chairs where smashed, then the stench met my nose.

I gagged and covered my nose and mouth with my shirt. I continued forward being drawn through the room. It was so dim in the room that I had a hard time seeing anything around me. I edged my foot forward slowly as I walked and nearly slipped in something. I regained my balance quickly thanks to training and looked down. I recognized it instantly, blood. I peeked over the edge of the overturned table and instantly regretted it. The gore behind it was horrifying. The bodies were hidden throughout the room, the beautiful evening dresses and tuxes were tore and shredded, the bodies of their owners equally demolished. The reek of the blood and bodies was tinged with the sent of nothing other than sulfur.

I was nearing the end of the room when a shaft of light appeared off to my left. In the light was a shimmering blue prom dress. Its bodice was covered with intricate designs of beads. Under different circumstances I would have found the dress breathtaking but now it only filled me with dread. I turned away from it into the shadows, in the direction I was being pulled towards. Another door was waiting for me but it was locked from the other side.

"Damn it..." I swore. I turned around for a split moment and when I looked back there was a note on the door in front of me.

Wear the dress

It read in delicate handwriting.

"Seriously?! " I yelled. I turned back to the dress waiting for me expectantly. I'm fairly sure it belonged to one of the dead girls in the room around me. Frustratedly I walked towards the dress and lifted it up. I didn't want this but anything to better my chances of getting my family out of here alive I would take. I hurriedly undressed and then slipped the dress on. It fit me perfectly which made me want to puke. I put my leather jacket and boots back on and held my pistol tightly. When I came back to the door it was already open and waiting for me.

It lead me to a hallway, badly lit and narrow. It was like the scene in the horror movies where the unsuspecting lead girl goes down the hallway unarmed in her pajamas asking "Hello? Whose there?" Then she opens the door and is killed. That, ironically, had become my life except I walked down the hallways with a loaded gun and knew what was waiting for me at the other end.

The farther I continued the more intensely I could feel them. I didn't have the slightest idea of where I was but I knew it was close. When the pull was at its highest I stopped. It was in-front of another iron door. I reached out with my hand and felt it. Quickly I pulled it back, feeling as if I had just touched a hot pan. They were in there. I could feel it in my soul. lifting the hem of the dead girl's dress I kicked open the door. The room was pitch black and I stepped into the gaping darkness without hesitation.

I heard the doors shut behind me and then another shaft of light appeared. In the light was a chair. In that chair was Dean. Stupidly I rushed forward. He was tied to the chair and the ropes had rubbed his skin raw a long while ago.

"Dad!" I cried dropping to my knees. Dried blood was everywhere and he looked horrible. His head was bent over with unconsciousness. I pulled a knife out and cut the ropes. "Dean! Come on Dean wake up!" I shook him trying to wake him. Slowly his eyes opened up and he looked at me dazed.

"Rachel?" He asked breathlessly. He looked down at his now free hands dazed. "Your here!"

"Yeah Dean," I said with a smile," I'm here." I leaned in and hugged my dad. He hugged me back, but slowly the hug grew tighter and tighter and not in the comfortable way. Dean's hand's shot up and locked onto my throat. I stifled a scream but he was already over me. I was pinned to the ground as my dad strangled me. Crying out for him to stop. I had dropped the pistol when I had been cutting him free.