Chapter 11

AN: Double chapter updates!

I backed up slightly and let out a nervous laugh, "w w wh... What do you mean?" Tristan scowled the room becoming more tense by the second.
"You know full well what I mean, I could sense your panic you obviously sent an unknown distress signal to me, through the mate bond. Now tell me why!"
I shifted and scratched my arm under his glare,
"Nothing, I was just nervous at meeting your parents is all."
"Don't lie to me Brianna, you won't like the consequences!"
Tristan began to walk towards me menacingly, "I'll give you three seconds to answer me, you don't want to find out what happens at 0..."
I gulped desperately wracking my brain for an excuse, then one hit me,
"3..."
I panicked as I tried to gather my thoughts.
"2..."

"no no no no no... Erm it's just that, it's just that, well I'm... I haven't exactly shifted before, I've never had any sort of contact with my wolf."
Tristan paused and looked at me for a long time, "hmmm, well how old are you again?"
"Well hang on let me think, what's the date today?" I asked.
"It's the 5th of the month of May why?"
"Then I'm 16 tomorrow! Oh my gods."
"Well you just a late bloomer I suppose, you'll shift soon."

I was only half listening to Tristan, I was too busy thinking about my 15th birthday tomorrow. I was unsurprised that it brought tears to my eyes, I always celebrated my birthday with my family, when would I ever see them again! I hated it here!
"Brianna, are you listening to me?"
I snapped my head to look back at Tristan, while discretely wiping away the tears that had gathered in the corners of my eyes.
"um yeah sorry and I suppose." Worry started eating away at my gut, how long could I keep my secret? Sooner or later it was going to come out and the longer I delayed anything the worse the retribution. I had to get away before then...

I opened my eyes to light streaming through the windows, my first thought was its my birthday, I'm 16 and without my family. I pushed the tears that threatened to flow back, I had already cried way too much, Tristan was in the bathroom already, he emerged fully dressed and left mumbling something about work to me. Great looks like I was stuck in here another day. I recognised Lena's black hair before I saw her face as she made her way backwards through the door pulling a cart. I immediately perked up at least I wouldn't be completely alone!
"Lena, I'm so glad to see you!"
She smiled "I'm glad to see you too Bree, I brought you a special birthday breakfast!!"
"Wow Lena, you didn't have too, but how did you know?"
"Servants hear everything," her whisper was almost conspirtual. I giggled and immediately felt better.
"Happy Birthday!"
I smiled "Thank you, I just wish my family were here."
She gave me a sympathetic smile "I understand."
"At least your here, how long can you stay?"
"As long as you want Bree, you tell me when to go and come, " She said almost shyly "I'm your maid."
"In that case, you're staying all day!"
I shared my Birthday breakfast with Lena and we sat and talked as we ate. I found out she had a younger brother and mum, she sent the money she earned here home to them as her mum was sick, also that her dad had died in a raid on their village along with her brother and a few others that had tried to defend it. My heart went out to her, she had lost so much, yet was still such a bright amazing person!

After that we moved into a lighter topic and our laughter carried throughout the room, we were having so much fun that I didn't notice Tristan standing in the doorway. Lena was the one to notice first quickly she stood brushing crumbs from her skirt and bowing her head in a polite gesture. I stood too, to nervous to remain seated,
"Leave us..." Was all Tristan said, Lena nodded and made her way out with the cart, shaking slightly.
"Trust you, to make friends with a servant."
"You didn't have to be so blunt, besides she is nicer than any of the 'Higher born' people, everyone says are better!"
"You're probably right there, but it is not proper to sit fooling around with a maid."
"Well I wouldn't have to if I wasn't stuck in this stupid room all day, every day!" I fired back, a hard glint in my eye.
"Actually I was coming to talk to you about that, you should get changed we're going to be throwing a party!"
"A party," I exclaimed shocked "why?"
"Well it's your birthday isn't it, people would wonder if you didn't have one." Tristan Replied. "You'd best be on best behaviour too," I gasped as he grabbed my hand squeezing it tightly "you will won't you?" He demanded menacingly.
"Ye..yes" I managed to choke out as the pain in my hand grew.
"Good." Was all he said before leaving.
A maid was sent in to help me prepare and all I could think was she wasn't Lena...

I took a deep breath before double checking in the mirror, I was wearing a floor length royal blue gown with golden trimmings. It was beautiful but I was currently trying to learn how to walk without tripping, that would be the real challenge. The maid who had reluctantly told me her name was Ashley lead me to the big double doors of the great hall and left before I could say thank you.

As I approached the doors the guards either side opened the doors, with a muttered thanks I hesitantly made my way inside. My gaze sweeped across the room that was filled with staring people, I felt myself blush. My eyes met with a now familiar pair of green ones, his eyes holding the silent command, I gave and almost imperceptible nod and he seemed satisfied. As I was making my way over a bouncing brown curly haired girl came bounding over she had green eyes that looked ever so familiar.

"Hi, you look gorgeous I couldn't wait to meet you! So how are you?!"
I looked at this hyper ball of energy confusion written on my face,
"Er have we met?"
She laughed, "Oh I forgot to say I'm Emily, Tristan's sister."
"Oh um hi!" Now that she had said this I could see the resemblance, Emily was obviously younger about the same age as me. She was short as well which was a stark contrast to her Tall brother.
"I'm good thanks, how are you?"
"Oh me I'm great, I heard that you befriended your servant!"
I held my breath as she said that wondering what her reaction would be.
"I think it's great! I also heard what you said about servants at the breakfast with my parents and I agree! Sorry I wasn't there by the way I was feeling ill, also don't tell Tristan but I play with all the little servant girls too." Emily gave me a grave look that didn't seem to suit her sweet face.
"You promise you won't tell anyone,"
"I promise,"
After that Emily bounded away saying something about food, I watched her go thinking that I had made a new friend, she seemed really nice the total opposite to her brother.

I decided to head to the bathroom in an adjoining corridor, all this was too much I would trade it all for 5 minutes with my family. I came out of the bathroom after wasting as much time as possible in there, I started to walk down the corridor back to the ballroom when a looming shadowy figure stepped out from behind the corner...

AN: Leaving you all with a cliff hanger there mwahhhahaha 😂 xx