Chapter 14

I awoke to Kayla shaking my shoulders, groggily I opened my eyes and my brown ones met her wide blue ones.
"Quick we need to get you out of here you've been sleeping for almost a day and a half, I had to wake you my mom does her monthly clean today and that includes my room."
My eyes widened at her statement,
"A DAY AND A HALF!" I exclaimed in a whisper, wow I must really be tired out.
"Yes," answered Mikayla "Now we need to get you out of here before my mom sees you!"
Okay okay I'm up I'm up, I looked down at my now dirty dress and cloak and then shrugged it would have to do. Besides it might help me blend in more easily. Stealthily I slipped down the stairs while Kayla went ahead to distract her mom and siblings left at the house. I cringed as a floorboard creaked and tensed waiting for someone to discover me, thankfully no one noticed. Quickly and quietly I slipped outside, running for the nearest cover to wait for Mikayla. After five minutes she came out whispering my name.
"Over here," I called relived I had made it out unseen.
We carried on into the bustling part of the village hoping to blend into the crowd, it seemed to work even though the guard presence was everywhere. The people seemed terrified of them, I frowned lost in thought and didn't realise I had separated from Mikayla.

Panicking I whirled around trying desperately to catch a glimpse of her head. She was no where to be seen and the crowds seem to have thickened in the time it had taken for me to realise I had lost Kayla. The source of the crowd wasn't hard to find, there was people shouting and cheering, obviously some kind of fight. I was shocked to hear Kayla's familiar voice shouting out,
"No! No I wasn't trying to steal it! I promise! I accidentally knocked it off and was trying to replace it!" No no..."
Her pleas were cut off by a gut-wrenching sob. Not wasting anymore time I pushed and shoved through the oppressing crowd, the heat and stench from bodies hit me in waves and I had to muffle cries of pain at the elbows to the stomach I received when pushing through. Finally bursting through the line of people I took in the scene. Mikayla was crying holding her face as a guard held her shoulders with another looming in front of her.
"You know the price of theft! A hand must be taken!" The guard roared. He was powerfully built with marks on his body that looked not unlike tattoos not to mention an ugly scar running from his cheek to the corner of his mouth. If an old grizzly bear could turn into a human I decided it would look like him. I shuddered at the thought. The crowd let out a cheer in anticipation and it disgusted me, how could they stand by and watch an innocent girl be tortured! Even as I thought this I could see some people in the back shaking their heads and gazing with sympathy. I couldn't let this happen to Mikayla, but if I gave myself up then I would be shipped straight back to Tristan. Knowing I would never be able to live with myself after and realising I only was ever considering one choice, I stepped forward...
"Let her go!" I winced at how small my voice seemed before clearing my throat and shouting over the crowd,
"I said, LET HER GO!"
Slowly the guards turned to face me,
"And who do you think you are? An accomplice, maybe we should just throw you both in a dungeon to rot" the guards shared a laugh as nasty as their faces and I curled my lip in disgust. What makes a person treat another person this way?
"No, I am Brianna, mate to the Alpha Prince Tristan Ravenscar and if you release this girl I will come back with you without resistance."
I heard audible gasps throughout the crown and the guards eyes widened. Slowly Mikayla's shoulders were let go of and I ran over to her as she slumped to the ground. Other than a red cheek she seemed okay, albeit shocked, but unharmed.
"Kayla you need to go, go back home." I said gently "Thank you so much for your help, I'll never forget you or your family."
"No," She cried "You'll be able to get out again? You can come back! Please don't leave."
Sadly I shook my head and pulled her into a hug, "No Kayla, I don't think I'll get another opportunity." I held the tears back in my eyes I knew were dying to escape, what I was saying was true when I got back Tristan wouldn't ever let me leave his sight or a heavily guarded or locked room. Well that's if he didn't kill me himself. Looking back over to the guards they were watching the scene with boredom in their eyes. One motioned for me to hurry up and I glared at him. The crowds were still gathered although most had disappeared when the threat of a fight had disappeared. Looking around I locked gazes with who I recognised to be the eldest of Mikayla's brothers, although I don't know his name. He was already heading towards us pushing through the crowd, he was near the front as though he had tried to get to Kayla and by the look in his eyes he had heard everything. I passed the sobbing Kayla over to him when he reached us and he stroked her hair, whispering words of comfort into her ear calming her. His face turned to me still holding Kayla,
"Thank you for helping my sister, I'm so sorry about what has happened to you, I've seen how ruthless the royal family and their 'Knights' can be." He spat at the part about the Knights. I just smiled sadly at him,
"Better me than anyone else and thanks for taking me in when I first arrived, thank your mom for me too."
I was about to stand up when he spoke up again,
"Wait, what will happen to you?" He asked,
I didn't answer but the unshed tears in my eyes spoke the words I didn't say. I would be lucky to get out of this alive.
He gently shifted Kayla from him and pulled me into a hug, I stiffened but then relaxing into the embrace,
"I'm Jace, by the way and if you ever need help just come to us."
"Thank You," I whispered not trusting my voice to say more than that.
I was pulled away from him by the mean looking guard and dragged away to a now awaiting carriage. I didn't look back but I could feel two gazes on me from behind and didn't need confirmation as to whose they belonged. Taking a deep breath as I sat down I readied myself for when we got to the Castle.

AN: Bit of a filler really hope you like it!!!