Chapter 29

Sitting in the window seat, I looked up from the book I was reading to admire the sun as it was starting to set. It had turned the sky a burnt orange colour and it was beautiful to watch. The door to the bedroom slammed, I abruptly turned startled my eyes widening.

I was greeted with troubled green eyes.
"What's wrong?" I asked cautiously.
"The battle is about to start, scouts have reported movement. I need you down in the safe rooms now."
I took a deep breath, the dreaded day that had been looming for a month had finally come.
"Okay, give me five minutes."
I rushed to change into a black tunic with matching black leggings, I strapped on my belt containing my knives and slipped two long blades into my boots. Tying my hair up into a high ponytail so it was out of my face I exited the bathroom, Tristan was waiting hardly moving.

"Let's go."
Tristan observed me, taking in my appearance before moving closer. He took my face in his hands...
"You won't have to use those blades, I'll make sure of it." Conviction in his voice.
"Just look after yourself, please." I replied.
He nodded taking my hand as we made our way through the levels of the castle passing hurried looking ladies and servants as they ran to their own safe rooms.

We stopped at the start of the corridor I would have to go down to get to be heavily guarded safe rooms. I failed to keep a tear from sliding down my cheek as I embraced Tristan. I prayed for his safety.
"Tris please, please be safe."
He tightened his hold around me, however he stayed silent.
"Bree whatever you do, don't leave this room promise me."
I nodded into his shoulder focusing on the tears that were threatening to fall.
Pulling back slightly so we could see each other's faces, I opened my mouth to speak.
"Come back to me..."
Expressing the emotions I couldn't find the words for with my eyes.

His lips crashed into mine, his feelings mingling with my own. The kiss was fierce however it was too much similar to a good bye kiss, it left behind an uneasy feeling.
We pulled apart, I was at a loss for words.
"I love you." The words seemed to shock Tristan himself even as he said them. I was left speechless as he turned to leave, giving his hand a final squeeze we parted and I stood staring after him for a few seconds after.
He didn't look back...

Shaking it off I walked down the corridor, I had to be strong for all the women and children assigned to my safe room. Taking a deep breath I tried to shake off Tristan's words, but they left behind a strange feeling in my stomach. Touching my lips I let myself have one more minute of distraction before plunging myself into the task ahead.

Two hours had passed in which I had comforted as many women and young children as I could, who were upset and fearful of the ferocious battle happening not too far away. While the children were frightened for themselves, the women were mostly scared for their mates who were no doubt fighting for the village and with the Knights.

So far it had mostly been quiet in the wing in which the safe rooms were located. There were guards at the door and outside further up the corridor. Emily also happened to be in the same room as me and we had been working together to keep everyone as calm and comfortable as possible. We had assigned some of the older teens to look after the younger children as the sight of the weapons we both carried scared them.

Both me and Emily were armed to the teeth, we were the last line of defence for these families. Taking a break, we both headed over to the guards to see if they had any new information. However the four guards seemed occupied listening to something. As we got closer we realised the sounds of clashing metal and snarls were coming from behind the door at the end of the corridor.
"Stay here, your highnesses. We will go to sort out this problem. In the meantime do not open this door."
I exchanged a worried glance with Emily, however didn't object when the guards slipped out the door slamming it behind them.