Chapter 25

I awoke to a soft light filtering through Lena's window, opening my eyes to see Lena already gone and a not saying she'd had to go to work already. Letting out a sigh I dragged my hand through my messy hair. Decided I needed to face Tristan at some point I got myself out of the makeshift bed I had made, tidied up the mess I had caused before slipping out of Lena's room. With my head down I headed out of the Servants quarters, not willing to be recognised by the people busying past. Not knowing where to go I wandered aimlessly through the gardens. Once again I was drawn out of curiosity to the huge maze. I'd always liked maze's and was very good at memorising the routes that I needed to take to get to the centre. After a seconds hesitation I plunged inside.

I kept the huge structure in the middle in my sight as I aimed to reach it, trailing a hand along one of the hedges I noted how many turns I took and in which direction. Sure enough after 10 minutes of walking I had come no closer to getting to the middle, which still seemed the same distance away. Deciding to try a different path, I shifted so that the middle structure was now on my left and walked parallel to it. Another 5 minutes of walking I was starting to relax into my own thoughts, annoyingly I felt them drift to Tristan more times than I was ready to admit to even myself. It wasn't until I heard a murmur of voices that I stopped dead, curious as to who they belonged to. Creeping towards the sound I found myself peering around a corner.

I stifled a gasp at the sight in front of me, there was a small clearing in the maze however it was the occupants that shocked me. In it stood my former guard James and the Mercian I recognised as Alec's messenger. James was on his knees and I could see his face contorted in pain. Straining to hear what they were saying, I remained as quiet as I could.
"Please please don't hurt my mate and pup, I'll do anything!" James begged.
"Oh they're fine... For now. We won't touch them, if you give us all the information we need."
"I can't do that!" James pleaded. "I can't go against my Alpha!"
The Rogue grabbed James by his collar roughly,
"You can and you will, or your pup will be no longer. Your mate may last a couple hours while we have some fun, but overall she will end up a corpse too." He sneered.
I saw James' internal battle before he reached his decision.
"Fine... What do you need to know."
Somehow I needed to stop this, but if I did they could hurt James family and probably kill the both of us too.

"Good, now I need to know the shifts of guards for the garden around this area. We plan to ambush the castle through this entrance while our main force is out the front. To do that we need inside information, that's why we need you."
My eyes widened, I needed to get back to the castle, James would be fine for now they needed him, however Tristan needed to know what I did now. Slowly I stood up creeping backwards, listening to James relay shift changes for the guards. I managed to get around one corner, before spinning on heel. However I was met with a ferocious growl and baring of teeth, easily identifiable as a rogue. Not giving him time to react, I used every ounce of training I'd had over the past few weeks. Dropping to the floor I swung my leg around trying to take his feet from beneath him. Before jumping up and delivering a roundhouse kick to his dislodged chest.

Taking off at full speed, I dived behind one hedge as I heard footsteps getting closer. I identified three realising the others must have joined him. Slowing my ragged breathing I kept as still as possible as footsteps drew closer.
"Find her!" I recognised the voice of the messenger before hearing footsteps spread out. I could sense someone drawing nearer as I held my breath. Ready to launch an attack, I ground to a halt realising it was James that had found me. I frantically pressed my finger to my lips, motioning for him not to tell them. His eyes held shock and he looked panicked. Finally after what seemed like an age, he called to the others.
"There's no one here!" I let out a sigh of relief. James disappeared around the corner. I heard the man who I had kicked raise his voice,
"We must call of this attack, what if she heard?"
"No!" The messenger growled. "One stupid girl will not halt this masterful plan." He let out a half laugh/ half snarl.
"You said she looked like a kitchen maid anyway, who would believe her. Girls probably half scared to death."
Gradually the voices got further away until I could no longer hear them and I made my way out of the maze, whole body shaking from adrenaline.

I had to find Tristan, whatever was going on right now between us was irrelevant this was more important! Peoples lives are at stake. Picking up my pace I started into a full on sprint, bursting through doors to the castle, ignoring many shocked exclamations of Princess or Luna. Finally reaching his office I burst through the doors, letting out a groan of frustration to see he wasn't there. Spinning on my heel I ran towards his room, bursting through that door only to be faced with the same result. I decided to sit on the bed knowing Tristan had to come back at some point and it was no use running around with no hope. I only had to wait around 5 minutes before a harried looking Tristan came bursting through the door.
"Oh thank the moon goddess!" He exclaimed. "I had a few pack members mind link me saying you had rushed up here looking as though you had seen a ghost. Are you ok?"

Shaking my head, I felt the signs of tell tale tears prick the corner of my eyes. Everything was becoming all too much for me, first being ripped away from home, second finding out everyone is werewolves and now this war. A lot of people's lives rested on this families orders and I couldn't deal with that knowledge. Tears started running down my face and Tristan rushed towards me. His green eyes pools of concern. He held me in his arms as I fought the hysteria, pushing away tears to find my voice.
"What had happened? I need you to tell me Bree?"
"I was in the maze earlier and I heard voices, so I followed them until I saw where they were coming from..."
Tristan interrupted me,
"So first you go into the maze alone, then you follow suspicious voices all without alerting anyone, Bree are you aware..."
"Shhh," I cut him off giving him the let me explain eyes. He sighed nodding.
"Anyway, I stumbled across the messenger from Alec threatening James into helping him. He was threatening to kill his mate and pup it was horrendous. I won't bore you with the other details. But basically they're planning to attack from the maze while having the attack from the front as a distraction. What do we do?" Stopping to catch my breath I gazed at him imploringly.

Finally he opened his mouth to speak,
"What we're the other details?"
I looked at him feigning confusion but he fixed me with his best glare until finally I huffed. Re-accounting the events with the other Mercian, I physically had to pull Tristan back after I finished. He gave up turning to pace the room.
"Alec is dead." He snarled more ferociously than I had ever heard before. I flinched as he turned his pitch black eyes onto me.
"You are not being let out of my sight and when I am not with you, you are not to leave this room is that understood."
I took a step towards him, protesting.
"No!" He growled. "You could have been killed and I am not letting that happen. Is that understood?"
Reluctantly I agreed knowing that he wouldn't take no for an answer in this state. I retreated moving away from the anger rolling off him in waves.

Looks like I'd be back stuck in the same four walls again, driving myself crazy. Shame, I was actually getting somewhere.
"Right, we need to call counsel and you are going to have to repeat what you have found out. We need to start planning for this attack.
"Okay fine..." I sighed my shoulders slumped. The mornings event combined with the lack of sleep last night had left me exhausted. I stared at the ground until a slender finger tilted my chin upwards.
"Hey, everything's going to be okay, I promise." I nodded half-heartedly.
"I'm sorry, I forget you're only sixteen sometimes, you shouldn't have to have this pushed on you." Tristan said sadly.
"It's okay." I replied. "At least you don't have to deal with it on your own anymore."
My mouth twisting into a small smile.

"That's what amazes me, how you still remain smiling after everything you've been through."
"Sometimes that's the only way to get through things, so let's call this counsel."
"Okay fine we'll go but you and I still need to talk about yesterday."
I nodded,
"We will, but let's go..."

AN: Sorry for no updates in a long while, hope you like this! I've been having major writers block so please comment if you like this Xx