Chapter 20

Frantic knocking resounded through my head as I jumped up at the sudden noise, beside me Tristan jumped up awake from his seat. His grip tightened around my waist as he pulled me up into a standing position. Both of us made our way quickly over to the door, Tristan making sure I was behind him as he flung it open. Standing there looking very flustered was a boy if around twelve, nervously he scratched his arm.
"Prince Tristan, your father... He's... He's called a meeting immediately. It's urgent I've been sent to collect you. Please come quickly." The boy relayed.

Confused I watched the exchange and Tristan's eyes glazed over a look I recognised as mind linking. Seconds later he let out a ferocious growl, that would have made me jump away if it not for Tristan's still firm grip on my waist. After a moment his eyes came back into focus,
"Tell father I am coming, now!" He ordered. The boy scurried off looking more frightened than when he had arrived and ran as though hounds were chasing him. Tristan's eyes had turned black, I saw as I glanced up at his face and I could see his internal battle. Without a seconds thought I grabbed his face holding it between my two palms.
"Breathe." I ordered calmly. Slowly I saw his eyes lightening as he breathed deeply mostly inhaling my scent as he buried his face into one of my palms.

After a few seconds longer his eyes were finally back to their mesmerising emerald green. Removing my hands from his face, I looked curiously at him.
"What's happened?"
Tristan let out another vicious snarl, that made me jump.
"Alec's messanger is waiting in the throne room apparently to discuss our surrender."
"What do you mean? You aren't surrendering are you?"
Tristan let out a mirthless laugh,
"No but I think we're about to find out the consequences of that. Stay here I'll be back."
Tristan turned to walk out of the door,
"No!" I exclaimed, surprising even myself. Tristan turned too surprise flashing through his eyes.
"Let me come with you, I can help."
"No Bree I can't let you come with me, you could get hurt."
"Tristan, I'm going to be next to you the whole time with guards no doubt surrounding this man, I'll be fine."
Tristan looked pained,
"But your only human."
"I'll be fine, plus even if you don't want to admit it, you need me like you did just now."
"Fine! We've already wasted enough time lets go."

Quickly we both hurried to the throne room, passing harried looking battle councillors I had seen the last time. Tristan led me to a door in a part of the castle I didn't recognise, without bothering to knock he strode in. Tentatively I followed him inside gently closing the door behind me, turning around I saw that the occupants of the room sat upon a podium while in the centre kneeled a man who looked to be in his early thirties. He had a wild uncontrollable look to him that would make anyone apprehensive. Most had turned to face us, well mostly Tristan, as we walked in the room.

Tristan stood waiting for me to catch up, while glaring at the man clearly a Mercian. The way Tristan had positioned himself was partially blocking me from his view. Hurrying over to him, he led me to stand near his father. Me of course positioned behind him.
"You would come to our own castle and threaten us! With what may I ask? You few rogues are nothing compared to an entire kingdom!" Roared the very angry looking Alpha King, I saw Luna Lillian grab his hand in support and his voice lowered,
"How dare you! On what terms does Alec," he spat the name. "Think he can rival us on."

The man kneeling slowly opened his mouth into a loathsome grin.
"Simple, we will destroy you if not."
The Alpha King spluttered.
"What!" He roared, making everyone including me flinch. Well all except Tristan who stood stock still although I could see the barely concealed rage circling through his eyes.
"You think you can go up against the power of this kingdom!" He bellowed.
"Ah you underestimate us, we can and will destroy you, as we speak Alec is putting his final plans in place to unite all the rogues in this league of the world. He got to the palace once he can do it again, even your precious mates won't be safe."
I saw the man's gaze land in Lillian who stared stoically back, then his gaze flickered to land on me where I stood a few centimetres behind Tristan. Who had taken a protective stance in front of me. Not wanting to show fear I challenged and met his gaze, raising my chin defiantly. Tristan let out a loud warning growl, the man's gaze left mine albeit sluggishly.

The room was deathly silent,
"Do you except the challenge?" He asked a deadly not to his tone. Expecting Tristan's father to answer I was shocked when I heard Tristan's deep voice answer.
"We except, but it's your mistake. Now go run back to your 'master' I'm sure he would like to hear of our decision."
Tristan snarled.
"Guards escort him from the territory."
As the guards dragged him out I saw his head turn to look at me once more.
"You have a month to prepare."
His gaze seemed to mock me as he left. When he was finally out of sight I shuddered, feeling suddenly very small and vulnerable in this world.

The room went into an uproar, papers flying everywhere, shouting and debating. Unconsciously I shuffled closer to Tristan feeling intimidated who took my hand in support, by the look on his face he need it too. Although for very different reasons. Everything was in anarchy.
"STOP!" A voice yelled and I felt the vibrations from Tristan's chest. Everyone turned to look at us in surprise and I felt his dad narrow his eyes at our intertwined hands.
"We need to think this through, we can't just charge we need a plan to minimise casualties. I propose we all take an hour to cool off then meet back here to discuss strategy."
The occupants murmured in agreement. Until one by one they started to leave the room. I felt Tristan sag as the last few left.

"We can do this." I said turning to face him, giving him a comforting hug.
"I know, it's just hard sometimes." Tristan said a vulnerability to his voice I hadn't heard before.
"As the next in line I'm expected to take over most of the Alpha responsibility."
"I know." I stated, "But I'm here to help you."
I meant every word, even though I wasn't meant to be here and have fought it every step of the way. I already feel attached to Tristan and the people here. They needed my help so I was going to offer it. Even if it meant delaying returning home, my family while I missed them so much it hurt at times, would just have to wait.

AN: Sorry it's been a long time but here's the next chapter! I hope you like it!!